You should be able to, the filler pipe fitting is always a problem and often needs the rear deck levering up with a piece of wood to get it in place!

Is it a new tank or an original as some of the repro ones werent the right shape. Pictures below of an original with measurements.

Stuart.

TR2 petrol tank 001.jpg

TR2 petrol tank 002.jpg

TR2 petrol tank 009.jpg

TR2 petrol tank 010.jpg

TR2 petrol tank 011.jpg

9 hours ago, Lebro said:

I found that I had to shorten the rubber hose a little to get it in.

Bob.

Same. On both my TR2s.

On my 3A the filler does not line up with the tanks by about 1" and it is very difficult to lever the rubber connector into place. I often think about welding the tube in a new position but I am not keen on petrol fumes ?? Possible early departure for the welder.

Thanks Richard & B.

FWIW there are two lengths of the solid tube on the actual filler cap assembly, the shorter of the two is for a TR2 with the larger tank.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

On my 3A the filler does not line up with the tanks by about 1" and it is very difficult to lever the rubber connector into place. I often think about welding the tube in a new position but I am not keen on petrol fumes ?? Possible early departure for the welder.

Thanks Richard & B.

KA BOOM !

"On my 3A the filler does not line up with the tanks by about 1" and it is very difficult to lever the rubber connector into place. I often think about welding the tube in a new position but I am not keen on petrol fumes ?? Possible early departure for the welder." 

If you buy a new tank from either of the two popular TR suppliers you'll be more like 2 or 3 inches out!! The only way to use one of these tanks is to cut and reweld the intake pipe before use. A better idea is to buy it from another supplier e.g. Alicool and their better made and cheaper.

Rob

23 minutes ago, RobTR3 said:

"On my 3A the filler does not line up with the tanks by about 1" and it is very difficult to lever the rubber connector into place. I often think about welding the tube in a new position but I am not keen on petrol fumes ?? Possible early departure for the welder." 

If you buy a new tank from either of the two popular TR suppliers you'll be more like 2 or 3 inches out!! The only way to use one of these tanks is to cut and reweld the intake pipe before use. A better idea is to buy it from another supplier e.g. Alicool and their better made and cheaper.

Rob

Ian - I can help you out with a brand new Alicool tank ( and they do fit!) - have sent you a PM 

Cheers Rich

Thanks all for the replies.

I've discovered my problem was the solid tube on the filler cap assembly (as Stuart pointed out). I wasn't aware of this and was trying to fit the longer tube - doh!

Now I've got the correct filler cap and tube and alls well with the world - at least in my garage!

Regards. Ian