FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS

31 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Exactly what I was going to buy tomorrow Roger! It was just that I had a spare tatty plastic switch in the spares box & needed to fit it quickly in order to do the drive out! A new quality item will be fitted ASAP.

20 hours ago, RogerH said:

Just a thought Roger. Does that switch fit all TR4 as well as TR4A? Didn't they change the switch type during TR4 production?

Hi Monty,

the TR4 is a pressure switch fitted in the 4 way pipe run down near the exhaust manifold.  The pressure switches in this position is a disaster.

Fit the mechanical switch to the master cylinder box as per the 4A 

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Monty,

the TR4 is a pressure switch fitted in the 4 way pipe run down near the exhaust manifold.  The pressure switches in this position is a disaster.

Roger

My Tr4 has the mechanical switch fitted as my 4A so the previous owner must have done the modification. On that basis I assume the better quality metal switch will fit either car.

Just as an addition to all the bearing talk, I have looked into this subject in some detail and spoken to various bearing suppliers.

At the moment NTN from Moss seem to be the best good quality value for money, and are manufactured in Japan.

Timken which used to be manufactured either in the US or England are now made in various Eastern block countries.

Cost for NTN is only slightly less than Timken, from a large bearing outlet, 03062  £27.80 NTN £35.00 Timken.....07100S  £18.34 NTN  £22.63 Timken

The cost for a pair of Timken £57.63 plus Vat

Currently on e-bay a pair of Timken are for sale from a famous TR group no names but they are an enterprising outfit for £75.00

So it pays to do your homework.

Best regards to all Lee 

On 6 February 2020 at 4:43 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Monty,

Roger

Hi Roger, Just been in touch with Green SP & they say that switch does not fit a Tr4/4A! I am now a little confused! Moss do a metal one 13H3735X & Rimmers only do the plastic thing 134529. Can you give me the part number & supplier of the metal unit you have successfully fitted? Regards.

28 minutes ago, monty said:

Hi Roger, Just been in touch with Green SP & they say that switch does not fit a Tr4/4A! I am now a little confused! Moss do a metal one 13H3735X & Rimmers only do the plastic thing 134529. Can you give me the part number & supplier of the metal unit you have successfully fitted? Regards.

Hi Monty,

This looks very similar to the one fited to my 4A. It has an M12 thread

Who are Green SP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intermotor-Brake-Light-Switch-51690-Replaces-1368786-61311350645-61311368786/362487175267?epid=13017017459&hash=item5465eb5863:g:ji4AAOSwUTZcXwkY

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Green Spark Plug company. Usually quite good for spares but when I quoted the item you suggested on EBay they said it would not fit! I will try the one from Intermotor. If it fitted yours it should fit mine!