Lands End Trial 10/11 April

Entry posted for the road edition of Lands End Trail, anyone else entering?

370 miles of non damaging, mainly night time navigation with some steep bits thrown in along the north Somerset/Devon/Cornwall coast finishing near St Ives

Had a great time on the Exeter Trial, aiming for a clean sheet this time

Details under Events on the website

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2020/04/2163/Lands-End-Classic-Road-Trial

Phil

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:09 PM, PhilipB said:

Hi Andrew

TR2

Below on the Exeter Trial

OGB 22.jpg

I notice OGB 800 still sports my (illegal) amber front side lights/indicators, Phil, after all this time.

6 hours ago, Paul Hogan said:

It looks a lot different to when I had the pleasure of driving it.  It was red and on wire wheels back then! 

Hogie 

Must have been before I bought a virtually immaculate Californian chassis from Glen Hewitt after Jenkins crashed front end, welded on bits of chassis, then sold it to me and then I damaged it again.

I much prefer the car as it is now and how it is used especially 

Edited by David Brancaleone

Oh Yes David, I must have last drove OGBe sometime around 1984/5  I do recall Jenkins driving into some road works on the M1. They had removed the top 2 feet of road surface so it must have landed with a bit of bump!   Anyway, it looks good and its well used.  Just what a TR should be. 

hogie 

1 hour ago, Paul Hogan said:

Oh Yes David, I must have last drove OGBe sometime around 1984/5  I do recall Jenkins driving into some road works on the M1. They had removed the top 2 feet of road surface so it must have landed with a bit of bump!   Anyway, it looks good and its well used.  Just what a TR should be. 

hogie 

Ah, so that is what happened!

He should have reduced the price bigtime, what with a section welded in on both front chassis members. But he said nothing.

I totally agree with you about use.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, TRTOM2498PI said:

I recall Jenkins had an early TR under a cover outdoors at Stonebroom Industrial Estate, (Alfreton, Derbyshire), circa 1994/5, when we had gone to view a Frogeye Sprite Keith Jenkins was selling. Could this have been the car from that time ?

No. He sold me the car much earlier, mid-1980s.

By mid-1990s, it had gone to Revington. He actually improved it a lot, though, as I said above, an as new Californian chassis which took forever to wire brush, was my main earlier contribution to its improvement.

I once had a bunch of photos of OGB 800 which I gave to my friend John Lehane, also in the Oxford Group and also owner of a 2, an early Long Door.

Those came with the car from Stuart Jenkins. They looked like track day shots, and part of TR Register events. They were from the 1970s and early 1980s.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:16 PM, David Brancaleone said:

I notice OGB 800 still sports my (illegal) amber front side lights/indicators, Phil, after all this time.

History keeps coming out on OGB . . .

It would be great to receive any photos or recollections

David

Lights might have been illegal in your time but they are just turn indicators now, sidelights are in the headlights!

Was the damage you inflicted to the Californian chassis? That must have been replaced during Revington's refit as the bills I've got include an exchange chassis, not sure what got exchanged for what

Hogie

We've just discovered that one of the spline adapters doesn't run true, could that be a result of dropping 2ft I wonder? I'll have to check the others. Still got wire wheels, for use in summer

Phil

Note from the Clerk of the Course, Bill Rosten issued yesterday:

The Land’s End Trial has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic:

Mulling through the latest advice from the Government, Motorsports UK and various media, I have been discussing this with quite a few people and listening to their advice. I am of the opinion that we ought to postpone the Land's End rather than cancel or indeed to carry on trying to run it. We have within the team discussed ways of:

1. Doing away with the need for officials to handle either the declaration or control cards.
2. Doing away with competitors signing on & off.
3. Providing extra washing facilities. 

Whilst this may be possible and even desirable, it will not eliminate the risk of transmission. Relying on competitors and officials to withdraw if they feel unwell only takes one so far. There are a number of unknown factors such as a period when an individual may be infectious but not yet showing symptoms. 

The COVID-19 outbreak is still spreading and curtailing our activities generally is a major step to limit its spread. Our event is low risk BUT there are areas where the risk of passing on this disease would be higher, such as controls in confined spaces (Barbrook) or rest halts (Bridgwater & Wilsey Down). I am not willing to place our officials and competitors in a position where they might be more exposed to the coronavirus, let alone the individuals and firms that supply facilities and refreshments. 

My feeling is that there will be more likelihood in the near future of events being closed down and a possibility that more of us will be confined to quarters. The current outbreak is not showing any signs of slowing down in either this country or our neighbours. Hopefully, over the next few weeks, we will understand how best to tackle this problem. 

Accordingly I propose that we delay the running of the Land's End until 11th/12th September, which does not conflict with ACTC events. Taking this decision now will give people time to make alternative arrangements with hotels etc. I apologise to anyone inconvenienced by this decision. 

Clerk of the Course
Bill Rosten.

Thanks Wayne

Certainly a disappointment but not a surprise, there will be a lot more events to come that will be cancelled or postponed 

Phil

5 hours ago, PhilipB said:

Thanks Wayne

Certainly a disappointment but not a surprise, there will be a lot more events to come that will be cancelled or postponed 

Phil

Pity. More time for fettling, Phil.

On 3/16/2020 at 1:38 AM, PhilipB said:

David

Lights might have been illegal in your time but they are just turn indicators now, sidelights are in the headlights!

Was the damage you inflicted to the Californian chassis? That must have been replaced during Revington's refit as the bills I've got include an exchange chassis, not sure what got exchanged for what

Hogie

We've just discovered that one of the spline adapters doesn't run true, could that be a result of dropping 2ft I wonder? I'll have to check the others. Still got wire wheels, for use in summer

Phil

Well, I was a pioneer then. Because that's exactly what I used them for. It seemed dangerous to rely on small white lights to alert other drivers you were going to turn off. Positively attracting a hazard, but I didn't like the idea of switching to 3A style blinkers.

Initially, I was a purist. Hated the 72-spoke bling and replaced it with excellent steel wheels from Ken Mumford. Had I bothered to open the boot, I would have seen the jagged edges of the boot edge flanges, never replaced with new steel. But I didn't. I was a fool. It looked nice and shiny, with embarrassing chrome spokes and an over the top white rag top and sidescreens. They had to go too. Once a Register member turned up on my doorstep for the 3A sidescreens, but had no cash. He loaded them in the boot and went off to look for an ATM, but, you've guessed m, he never returned. Forgotten his name, honest.

I found a very nice dark red top and TR2-3 sidescreens, in matching red with zips. All original. Excellent fit down the grooves and tight between top and screen edge.

The engine would bubble over after a long drive or a short one. So Kenlowe and get rid of the heavy chunk attached to the pulley. I managed to get a grab handle for OGB 800. Painted it black. A confirmed, silly, purist, but now contradictory. A purist would never get a fan conversion.

Then I sold on the ally rocker cover and replaced it with the original painted item and primed and repainted it black.

I was ignorant about the SU HS6s fitted to 4A banana manifold. So off they came to be replaced by brand new shiny ex-factory H4s, imagine, and TR2-3A trunk-style inlet manifold, significantly reducing the power, without even realizing it.

As to the story of the chassis, it went like this.

1. Prior to sale, Stuart Jenkins prangs OGB 800. Doesn't tell me. But sale was delayed until he welds the front ends of the chassis.

2. After a New Year's Eve office party, I bump into a roundabout kerb, not appreciating that you have to follow the circular contour of a roundabout. Slight knock. But Stuart's chassis became scrap. Weird.

3. A young Glen Hewitt sells me a pristine Californian chassis, only requiring my huge elbow grease to remove grease and dirt 

4. On a rally, we went off and hit driver's side wing. Drove ok later. Used again to get home to Oxford, no problem.

5. I can only surmise the new one also got damaged, but it wasn't a big shunt. Strange it wasn't repaired? But then I didn't check out the damage. Too reckless!

6. Can't remember if that was before or after the Le Mans run with the lads from the South Downs Group? But that is another story to do with Stuart's dodgy wiring...

Strange thing, messing about with these cars. It's not that you own them. More that they own you. You get so very attached. Only recently have I thought about this. My main sharp feeling is about the reasons that led Malcolm and his associate to turn up at Merewood Avenue, Sandhills, Oxford, with a trailer and take the car away. But now I am so glad this 2 has gone to a good owner who is not worrying about polishing, about appreciating values or depreciating values. It's a really good ending, as far as I am concerned. The OGB 800 I purchased for a whopping £6,000 wasn't such a good car. I made it worse, then better. Then it received the full Neil Revington treatment. So I think it was refined into a much better, practical and more competitive car.

I once had photos of the car in the late 1970s early 1980s of Stuart and wife doing Register track days. After it was towed away, I towed away the photos and the TR books and gave them to a friend in the club, John Lehane.

I think OGB was a good runner, that Stuart restored, but not really that well, for example, the slope of boot, rear end of cockpit, valance and bootlid didn't line up.

I made many assumptions because it had belonged to a club member. Never assume. But I had great fun all the same.

Edited by David Brancaleone
On 3/16/2020 at 1:38 AM, PhilipB said:

David

Hogie

Phil

Missed your post, Phil. Sorry.

But I have made up for that just now.