Hi everyone, I have just this week joined the register as I begin my quest to fulfill my35yr dream of owning a tr6. My first ever car, back in 1985 was a convertible herald, it cost me a fortune in garage repair bills and soon had to go. Since then I’ve pined from a distance - until now! My 55th birthday is in May and I hope to buy my self a tr6-finally!  My budget would be 15k which I fear may not be quite enough?  But until then I’ll be bothering you guys a little and plan to get involved in my local group (Wessex) as I live near Southampton. All advice welcome pls

Welcome to the forum Glen. Your best plan, as you say, is to talk to the local group who should be able to give you pointers on what to look for and where the pitfalls are in selecting a '6. You may even find someone willing to go and look at them with you as a second pair of eyes. 

Good luck in your search.

Hi Glen,

welcome to the forum.

A 2nd pair of trained eyes as Rob say’s a a good idea, even if you are familiar with these cars.

And go and see a couple before you buy.

“No rust” is more important than a good mechanical condition (to me), as this is easier /cheaper to correct.

Waldi

Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum and soon to be TR6 ownership. Plenty of knowledge here, so don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions even if you think they a simple ones as we’ve all been there.

All the best.

Hi Glen

Welcome to the Forum. Check out the members cars for sale on here, you might just pick the right car. Good luck

Welcome from me too Glenn, as has already been said - bodywork condition is a priority over any mechanical work required. But don't be put off a car with good history and provenance based on its colour. If you are not familiar with the TR6 there's plenty of help and advice on here and at local club level so take advantage and buy the best TR6 you can afford. 

For £15k you should get a decent enough UK CR model which will still require some money spent on it, or a good US spec car which requires less to being spent on it.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers Andrew

Hi Glen,

Welcome.

If I had £15k to spend on a 6, based on the current market conditions and prices, I would be inclined to find an ex USA (west coast car), that would probably have a lovely rust-free chassis and body, and that's largely original. As above, the body and chassis are more expensive to repair/replace than mechanicals.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Hi Glen, welcome to the club and the forum.

I am sure the Wessex group will make you very welcome, they are a very active group. Since you have just joined, give Jo or Sue in the office a call on 01235 818866 to make sure you have been given access to the members only part of this forum and the website. Sadly this is still a manual process, driven by some legacy IT systems which we hope to upgrade to make this automatic. This will give you access to all the benefits of being a member including lots of technical material, archive editions of TR Action, member discounts, continental touring and lots more. Now you are a member you even get the opportunity to drive the club's own TR2, the first RHD TR ever made. It is doing a tour of the UK during this our 50th celebration year, so it will be coming to an event near you, when the weather is a bit better.

I agree with others, £15k should get you a smart and reliable TR6. Look for one that has been fully restored by somebody who cares. Get some local advise from the Wessex group, there maybe even somebody in the group wanting to sell one or knows of a car for sale. Post a photo of what you end up buying.

Mick

Hi and welcome. 

I'm fairly new to owning a '6, I purchased in 2017. My car was an older restoration, and I've done many things to tweak and improve it, and service and replace parts as necessary (that's part of the fun owning a classic like this). I found one that had a few things that wanted doing such as paint the windscreen surround and back panel which were in body colour, missing hood studs, all the gauges needed refurbing etc. 

Rust has to be the no.1 priority to check for, my paintwork is acceptable and I get many compliments, but it's far from perfect, still I know there's no rot in the chassis or body. At your price point you should be able to get something similar, there's a lot to check over so take your time.

Good luck and post back what you managed to get.

Here's my car (next change is a stainless standard style exhaust going on):

IMG_20200120_151549_307.thumb.jpg.8db75447cd8a3d2f6ffdcc9f9bb4165d.jpgIMG_20191127_122608_629.thumb.jpg.6479bc197ad29bce863dfe7225724291.jpgIMG_20190713_183042_369.thumb.jpg.7e4164df18aa45c9432e3f58cf764702.jpg

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
Add photos

Hi Glen,

I have just purchased a UK CR car with low mileage (48k) and it looks very original. I think it even has the original spare wheel judging by the date code on the tyre :o

Not perfect, but in a good overall state given that it is a 45 year old car. What I paid was in your price range and my car should be a good basis for a nice gentle rolling restoration. Only had it a few weeks and its already proving to be great fun :D

My recommendation is look carefully, take your time and walk away if you are not sure.

If you buy one and it falls to pieces as soon as you get it home the people on here will help you put it back together again. Compared to any modern car they are a joy to work on.

Richard

Mk2 Chopper

XAS tyres?

Look great.

Regards

Bill 

I couldn't afford XAS! These are called Retro Classic 001, and have a near identical tread as a Michelin XVS, and are (were?) made by Nankang. They have a nice period look though. They are indeed 165's.

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Hi Waldi, 

I'm not someone who really races around, although I do like a bit of spirited driving from time to time. 

I run them at 22/26 psi as per the book, they are nice and compliant (comfortable), steering is lighter and the car doesn't tram line in ruts and grooves in the road like the low profiles I took off did before I got these. I think they are also more aesthetically pleasing, although some might think they are a little skinny at first compared to the usual 195's that a lot run. 

Hope that helps?

Gareth

Think the car sits and looks really well.

I had never heard of these tyres before, and they look better than many,

just wondered are they Aysymetric Construction, (As the Michelin Xas/Xvs)

as well as aysymetric tread pattern?

John.

15 k is the lowest to find a good car. I ve been looking all autumn with that budget in uk. I saw several cars.... always needed some work to make a really nice car and at the end you can add 10k minimum to get THE car. I did a complete overhaul on an old tractor ferguson in the past and were never able to recover the cost when selling it. So on my experience it is more valuable to increase the budget and find a car on which a lot of work has been done. Unless your plan is to consider the car as a several years hobby

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Think the car sits and looks really well.

I had never heard of these tyres before, and they look better than many,

just wondered are they Aysymetric Construction, (As the Michelin Xas/Xvs)

as well as aysymetric tread pattern?

John.

Apart from the tread as you point out, I hadn't noticed the construction being asymmetric, but I could be wrong.

But thanks I love the rounded side wall really suits the car.

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper