Alan Burwood

My '72 TR6 is fitted with Lumenition Optical electronic ignition and has worked with no problems for the 10 years I have owned it.

However recently the engine still runs when I turn off the ignition and take the key out. It runs properly, the fuel pump and coil are still live and the red ignition light is on. It only stops when I disconnect the ignition wire from the fuse box or disconnect the battery.  I have replaced the ignition switch and the relay which connects the pump and the coil.  My suspicions now fall on the electronic ignition. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

If the PI pump doesn't switch off with the ig switch there's a fault in that circuit. The PI relay is aftermarket and the ig supply is not fused as standard. Did the PO update the wiring diagram with his mods ?

Peter

Sounds like wires on the back of the ignition switch are wired incorrectly and that you have an ignition wire crossed so it stays live after starting. Until you disconnect and then the relay operates and stops the car. I would check the relay connections and ign switch wiring .

Alan - have you made any changes to the wiring like adding any extras before this happened ? It could be that the relay coil is being powered by a sneak feed from somewhere else so that it is latching-on, effectively powering itself once the contact closes, until you disconnect the battery supply. 

Does the relay power ONLY the ignition coil and fuel pump?