Hi All

Looking at making the switch from std bulbs to LED’s and looking for some views and feedback.

No issue for the interior and the exterior bulbs like indicators brakes etc, but unsure about headlights.

My car currently still has the original type sealed beam units and I know they are not great so I do want to upgrade, but a few choices so I thought I’d ask for some feedback from those who have the diff options fitted.

First and simplest would be to upgrade to Halogen units but does it enough improvement.

Secondly Xenons, my understanding is that fitting Xenons although legal is much more complex and difficult but more info would be welcome.

LED’s. Again i think LEDs can be fitted but not sure bulbs can just replace Halogens or a whole LED specific unit is required. Also some of the lenses I’ve seem for LED units look way to modern aesthetically for an old car so are there alternatives?

Cheers  Keith

1 hour ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Looking at making the switch from std bulbs to LED’s and looking for some views and feedback. Read the link the Stuart gave

No issue for the interior and the exterior bulbs like indicators brakes etc, but unsure about headlights.

My car currently still has the original type sealed beam units and I know they are not great so I do want to upgrade, but a few choices so I thought I’d ask for some feedback from those who have the diff options fitted.

First and simplest would be to upgrade to Halogen units but does it enough improvement. Halogen are very good. The have the typical filament cool colour.

Secondly Xenons, my understanding is that fitting Xenons although legal is much more complex and difficult but more info would be welcome.You can get xenon H4 bulbs slightly better than the Halogen - again filament cool white

LED’s. Again i think LEDs can be fitted but not sure bulbs can just replace Halogens or a whole LED specific unit is required. Also some of the lenses I’ve seem for LED units look way to modern aesthetically for an old car so are there alternatives?   LED H4 bulbs extensively available. There are cheap ones (£20/pair) there are more expensive ones £80/pair)

the difference can be marginal or extensive depending on brand.  My NightEye bulbs work well.  They tend to be daylight white but possibly warm white available.

The HID Xenon are not allowed on our TR's

Do read the link

Roger

Cheers  Keith

I changed recently my day to day car and I have now LED headlights instead of xenon. For me huge difference I would never go back to xenon which is now an old technology complex and expansive 

I don t know for TR6 but for sure I would not convert to xenon

Edited by Jctr6EFI72

Hi Folks,

is it just me!!  but when I read Xenon for headlight bulbs I immediately think of Xenon gas filled filament bulb.   

However I suspect that some posters are referring to HID bulbs when stating Xenon.

Just to clarify (certainly for me) there are -

The standard filament bulb. This is filled with a cheap inert gas. Gives a nice glow, pleasing on the eye. But often quite useless.

Halogen bulb. This is a Halogen gas filled filament bulb. Significantly brighter than standard. The Halogen allows the filament to burn brighter. Good lighting and pleasing on the eye.

Xenon Bulb. This is a Xenon gas filled filament bulb. Can be significantly brighter than Halogen. The Xenon allows the filament to burn brighter the other gases..Very  Good lighting and pleasing on the eye.

HID Lamp unit. This is not a filament bulb but an arc light.  This is not a Xenon bulb.  Usually filled with Xenon gas but other Noble gases can be used. Very very bright. Needs to be used only in special applications.  Our TR's are NOT allowed to use these as they must be automatically adjustable to avoid blinding on coming traffic - come to West London and be blinded. These should be banned.

Roger

6 minutes ago, Jctr6EFI72 said:

For me xenon is the gas headlight with expansive electronic device behind. 

https://www.xenonpro.com/led-vs-xenon-hid-headlights-which-are-better

Hi,

they are HID headlamps that happen to use Xenon as their gas shield.

This is a typical Xenon bulb.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-100w-SUPERWHITE-XENON-472-UPGRADE-Headlight-Bulbs-12v-501-LED-Sidelights-B/270926148522?epid=27034142509&hash=item3f1474f3aa:g:n4IAAOSw3fZaG~WY

However it doesn't really matter.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi,

they are HID headlamps that happen to use Xenon as their gas shield.

This is a typical Xenon bulb.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-100w-SUPERWHITE-XENON-472-UPGRADE-Headlight-Bulbs-12v-501-LED-Sidelights-B/270926148522?epid=27034142509&hash=item3f1474f3aa:g:n4IAAOSw3fZaG~WY

However it doesn't really matter.

Roger

100 Watt is not road legal Im afraid.

Stuart.