Stiff door window

Thanks Stuart. It looks like welding wire to me as it is copper coloured. Still, it appears to work as a tie. Unfortunately the window is still stiff to wind down.......

10 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

Thanks Stuart. It looks like welding wire to me as it is copper coloured. Still, it appears to work as a tie. Unfortunately the window is still stiff to wind down.......

Have a good look at the slides themselves if theyve been disturbed so theyre not sitting parallel to each other and or the felt is coming away or the lower brackets have come loose on their fixing rivets as any one of those conditions will make them stiff to wind up or down.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I removed the front guide and it was is good condition but quite bent, and the width of the glass channel varied somewhat. I spent some time straighening it and the window is now a bit easier to wind down. However, the RH window remains much easier to operate. A further point please from when I reassembled the door. The conical springs that provide a force acting against the two handles were missing, although there was a witness mark on the inside of the door card showing that they had been there at some point. I bought new springs from Rimmer Bros but they seem to be incredible strong, so strong that I have not been able to fit them so far. Is this normal? There seems to be almost enough spring in the door card to force everything together to stop the retaining pins from dropping out.

Either cut a turn off or try and get originals, if you carefully cut a circle out of the backing board to coincide with the inner lip of the plastic escutcheon then that will also help.

Stuart.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. An update. I managed to fit the Rimmer Bros spring under the door opening handle, placing it between the door frame and the card then using an allen key to line things up on the opposite side of the hole whilst pressing the handle against the spring. Once it was in place I slipped it out as I inserted the pin from the other side. It sounds easy but it wasn't and took several attempts and one lost pin! As mentioned by Stuart in an earlier post I found on the Forum, the window winder spindle is too short on aftermarket parts to allow installation of the spring so I shall rely on the stiffness of the door card to hold everything together. Hopefully all now sorted. On to the next problem......