Washers on Propshaft Bolts

Is there a reason why no washers are specified on TR propshaft bolts or rather under the locking nuts?

I couldn’t think of a good reason so I’ve fitted some nice equal weight flat aircraft spec ones. 

Edited by Drewmotty

Is the nylon locking patch of the new nyloc nut still locking the bolt with at least 2 threads shewing beyond the nut when fully tightened? 

Probably alright then.

Cheers

Peter W

8 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Correct bolts and stiffnuts used with plenty of thread trough the nut. 
I was just wondering if there was any logic behind the omission of washers; maybe flange nuts were originally specified?

I can only guess.

Could have been  'error proofing'. 

No washers used means the garage mechanic is deterred from loosing one and fitting any old washer found on the floor, thus causing any balance issues.

Back to the point of washer quality, cheaper not to fit any than install a properly hardened one, that will not crush/spread when the nut and bolt are fully tightened.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Using good thick or even better, hardened washers on connections where the bolts are tightened to a high torque (read: bolt stress) is sound engineering practice.

If you don’t use these washers, the bolt and nut will damage the surfaces (smear out). The result is a wide spread in bolt stress. This is why there are hardened washers under the cilinderhead studs.

Waldi

Another consideration is that the bolt is in a shear force situation.  So the torque does not need to be too high.

The bolt is a decent quality item and fits the holes on the flanges quite nicely.

The Nut is a general purpose nut. So coupled with a low(ish)  torque should cause any surface issues. But, yes- it is against most engineering principles.

Roger

Spot on Waldi. Years ago I had a head gasket failure, the engine had not overheated and I was initially at a loss as to the cause, though not for long. I found that one of the head nut washers was not hardened and showed a marked depression where it had 'crept' under stress resulting in loss of head clamping force and adjacent failure of the gasket. This was the first time I had removed and replaced the head so mea non culpa. The culprit must remain nameless to protect the guilty!

Tim

Deformed cylinder head stud washer, near no 4 exhaust valve.JPG