Gearbox removal - tips please

I think you might be best to take the propshaft off Brian.

I assume you are referring to the gearbox crossmember as opposed to the mounting? The less clutter you have in the way, including exhaust brackets etc the more free movement you’ll have, and you’ll be less likely to grind your knuckles on the propshaft which is dangling right in the way.

Unlikely the prop shaft is going to be a help getting it back in, in my opinion, but more of a hindrance. You can’t lever properly off a U/J which is flopping around all over the place. Good luck with it.

Kevin

Well I got it out today, at last. I removed the propshaft, jacked the front of the car up a bit and supported the gearbox on a wheel skate and various pieces of wood, and a jack/wood block under the sump. I pulled the box back but then the bell housing fouled the bulkhead. That's when I realised why you need to remove the rear mounting. So I bolted them back together, jacked the engine and box up, took the rear mounting off, jacked it all down again, unbolted the box, pulled it back an inch or so on the skate, then lowered the car a bit to raise the gearbox enough to let me rotate it to get the clutch arm clear. Then it was just a bit of heave- ho to get it onto the passenger floor, where it remains until I get a hand to lift it out.

This was a non-overdrive box though, so not too heavy to manhandle.

• 7 months later...