Hamilton Classic Fire Safety Stick

Hi All.

Looking at the above in issue 318 Pg49 thought it might be ok but would like anyone else's views . For 46.95 for the smallest size 50 second as against their web site price of 74.95 seems a good deal. However when looking in our TRshop page were you have to order, the price is 67.45 (which is indeed 10% of web price). Have sent a message to the shop on Sunday and awaiting their reply as to which price is correct. As it is advertised as a new product, don't know if anyone has had the misfortune to have to use one (its one of those things we buy with the hope of never using) but any thoughts on its suitability would be appreciated.

Sorry about the lack of Pound signs but my laptop has seen fit to loose it somewhere!!!

Paul

I have doubts about this product.   Not about it's efficacy, it clearly works, but in applying it.      The demo videos show it being sprayed into an open engine compartment, which firefighters say you should NOT open, as this will encourage the fire, like opening a door causes a 'flashover', and the smoke can be toxic.      This is a US video;   you'll note how the firefighters carefully prepare their 'breathing apparatus'.     When ready,  another 'opens'  the bonnet with his crowbar/axe, and flames pour out!   They get the fire out, but with a hose that may be supplying water at up to 1500 litres a minute!

If you have an engine compartment fire, and a "Fire Stick", squirt it through the radiator grille.  Keep as low as possible and spend as little time as possible near the car

Better, if you are really concerned, is to fit a 'plumbed in' fire extinguisher, with nozzles fitted under the bonnet, so no need to raise it.    This is standard for racers, the kits are easily available, for about £220.

But any firefighter will tell you, best is to get out, get away, don't go back.    It's only a car, even a TR!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks, Harbottle!

Here's the official UK page: https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/vehicle-fires/  It says:

If a fire in your car does break out

Switch off engine

Release bonnet – Do Not Open

Get everyone out of the vehicle

Get far away from the vehicle and stay away, keeping onlookers and others away

Dial 999 and call the fire and rescue service

Warn oncoming traffic, if safe to do so.

If and only if you believe it is safe to do so, attempt to put out the fire with a dry powder or foam extinguisher. If the fire is in the engine compartment, do not open the bonnet but aim the extinguisher through the radiator grille or under the edge of the bonnet. Use with caution and if in doubt, don’t attempt to tackle the fire.

Ah! Tom is here!   The real thing!   Tom, what's your view of the FireStick?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Fire Safety Stick

https://firesafetystick.com/

Conversely, using one by throwing up the bonnet, while wearing a singlet and long blonde hair seems fool hardy in the extreme:

The sticks seem to be descended from 'Balls' that may be left fitted in vulnerable ares, or thrown into a fire!

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the reply’s. I think I will stick with Tom’s inert gas extinguisher. Let’s hope none of us need to use any. Asked the wife about her thoughts on imitating the blonde should the need arise, suffice to say reply unprintable :(

Paul

An interesting side effect of the dry powder extinguishers is as follows.

I have one in my 4A. It is positioned between the seats behind the hand brake. On this particular, uneventful morning, I happened to  knock the contact gauge with a bag.

The gauge flew off and the car began to fill with powder. 

Had the car been on fire I'm sure it would have gone out. But, lack a day, it wasn't on fire. The car looked as though it had been in a snow storm.

It took ages to clean the stuff out.

I think the inert gas (Co2) is the way to go.

Roger 

3 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi John ~

Oh no thank you ~ give me a proper fire extinguisher any day ~ and in any case keep well away from all that toxic smoke!! 

NEVER, ever fully open the bonnet in the event of a fire!

That also goes for fires in the home ~ never, ever open a door to a room that is on fire lest you get a 'flash back'!

Again, I'll advise that all domestic internal doors be fully shut at night.

The inhalation of toxic smoke is the biggest killer.

Tom.

Great Advice Tom, and a reminder for us all.

I,m trying to remember if it was Alec who stated here once,

'if you couldn't put it out by peeing on it' walk away

its only a car!

John.

Tom,

I bow to your experience!

But I remind others that the approved fire extinguisher material for racers - and the MSA/Motorsport UK should know - is AFFF, Aqueous Film Forming Foam.

CO2 excludes oxygen, one corner of the Fire Triangle, but then can blow away.  It is recommended for electrical fires, and of course is very clean!

AFFF on the other hand is recommended for fuel fires, as it sits on any fuel pool and does the oxygen exclusion bit, and also by its water content cools the fire (another corner!)

AS Roger has found the older powder is good, but very difficult to clean away, and can corrode alloy and other metals.

John

20 hours ago, RogerH said:

An interesting side effect of the dry powder extinguishers is as follows.

I have one in my 4A. It is positioned between the seats behind the hand brake. On this particular, uneventful morning, I happened to  knock the contact gauge with a bag.

The gauge flew off and the car began to fill with powder. 

Had the car been on fire I'm sure it would have gone out. But, lack a day, it wasn't on fire. The car looked as though it had been in a snow storm.

It took ages to clean the stuff out.

I think the inert gas (Co2) is the way to go.

Roger 

Hello Roger

Thank's for the warning mine has been sitting just in front of the Memsahibs seat gauge up!!!!! just behind the cross member(Spitfire 1500)

I have now repositioned it to my side and gauge down so not so easy to knock!

But I would add if I have a fire the steps taken will be F*****g big ones!

Roger 

I used to drive a tuned Singer Chamois, and had a 1kg dry powder extinguisher in the passenger footwell. One night I was the designated non-drinking driver for a stag night, and a drunken friend of the stag thought it would be funny to set it off. This was in a pub car park, so the extinguisher was thrown out straight away (shortly followed by the drunk, minus his shoes) so it was only going off in the car for a few seconds, but I had that car for another 2 or 3 years, and never did get rid of all the powder.

I have a couple of CO2 extinguishers in the garage, but should perhaps get one for the car.

Pete

When I worked in a Technical College, a student parked his Mini outside my lab. I noticed smoke coming out of the driver's window, which was open a couple of inches, and I could see a cigarette had fallen out of the ashtray and set fire to the carpet. I was able to put the fire out by emptying a CO2 extinguisher into the car through the open window.

Pete