You know how simple jobs have a habit of expanding......well I replaced the chassis on one of my Hurricanes (Spitfire kit), and then thought the windscreen frame needed a refurb (it did - both stanchions entirely rusted), which has now led me to the dash. This is a ply flat plank which I covered in vinyl on a 'temporary' basis in about 1985. I never liked it in vinyl, so I'm thinking I might veneer it. However, the toggle switches will only clamp through quite a thin sheet so there are sections of the ply which are cut out and replaced with alloy sheet. With me so far?

My question: Is it possible to veneer over alloy and what glue would you use? I'm thinking a high temp resistant contact adhesive.

Anyone have some veneer going spare?

Jerry

• 1 month later...

To follow up: I got some rosewood veneer and used a high temp spray contact adhesive having recessed the alloy panels so that they were flush with the ply. Clamped it up using a dozen G cramps and left it for 24 hours. Lost count of coats of yacht varnish after the first ten. It's not perfect, but it'll do for £20 in materials.

Time will tell if it lasts. Before and after pics below.

Jerry

Old dash.jpg

new dash.jpg