Knock knock

Hi All,

Recently bought a very original 2500 TC saloon. The car runs the original oil filter set and I was interested to see how long it takes for the oil light to go ours when first starting (much longer than my TR6). Interestingly you also hear 3 knocks from the engine which cease when the oil pressure builds. Otherwise it all seems very good.

Now, on saturday I started my TR6 for the first time in a few months. This has a recently rebuilt engine (approx 10K miles on it) and the spin on filter attachment. Fired right up with very little starter but then heard 2 knocks. Perhaps I am more sensitive because of the saloon. Car runs great oil pressure (40-50 psi at hot idle 80+psi over 2000 rpm). Could this just be a case of the oil system draining down after 2 months inactivity?

Should I be worried?

Tim

Trouble is it only happens on startup after a long lay up

Tim

Very true!

1 hour ago, Tim D. said:

Hi All,

Recently bought a very original 2500 TC saloon. The car runs the original oil filter set and I was interested to see how long it takes for the oil light to go ours when first starting (much longer than my TR6). Interestingly you also hear 3 knocks from the engine which cease when the oil pressure builds. Otherwise it all seems very good.

Now, on saturday I started my TR6 for the first time in a few months. This has a recently rebuilt engine (approx 10K miles on it) and the spin on filter attachment. Fired right up with very little starter but then heard 2 knocks. Perhaps I am more sensitive because of the saloon. Car runs great oil pressure (40-50 psi at hot idle 80+psi over 2000 rpm). Could this just be a case of the oil system draining down after 2 months inactivity?

Should I be worried?

Tim

Hi Tim,

My TR has had an oil cooler fitted from new but it has also a non return valve fitted in one of the flexible pipes, known as a flapper valve along with the spin on adaptor/filter. I have never had any knocking on start up! Even with the engine not started for months? You can get drain down from the oil pump, is this your problem?

Bruce.

Also have an oil filter. Suspect it could be pump drain down. The oil pressure comes up pretty rapidly..

Tim

5 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Also have an oil filter. Suspect it could be pump drain down. The oil pressure comes up pretty rapidly..

Tim

If you're using spin on filters, make sure the filter you selected is fitted with an anti drain valve.

How do you tell?

tim

You need to check the manufacturer's data sheets or check with other user's. When I first fitted a spin adapter I only considered the attachment thread and filter sealing ring diameter- big mistake. There's more to it than that:

https://ryco.blob.core.windows.net/ryco/Files/library/news/oil_filter_valves_technical_tips.pdf

In the end I settled on a Ryco Z37 which is commonly used by Australian Triumph enthusiasts - it has an anti syphon valve and internal pressure relief.

13 hours ago, Mike C said:

If you're using spin on filters, make sure the filter you selected is fitted with an anti drain valve.

I thought the anti-drain valve was fairly standard on modern spin-on oil filters. I tend to use the Mann ones  (W712) which have this.

14 minutes ago, DRD said:

I thought the anti-drain valve was fairly standard on modern spin-on oil filters. I tend to use the Mann ones  (W712) which have this.

It wasn't 10 years or so ago, I used a widely available filter for Nissan  commercial vehicles that lacked the drain back valve -it fitted the Mocal adapter with no obvious problems.

The easiest way to make sure is see what filters work for other TR enthusiasts- you can't take  the filter internal valving  for granted.

I have the filter adapter and installed a large K&N filter, type HP-2009, which has an anti-drain valve, see picture of the box.

The price difference between a good filter and a cheap filter is too little to even consider el-cheapo’s.

Waldi

78F6251C-9C9D-410E-BD40-071DBD5EAA59.jpeg

Pressure comes up almost immediately. Way fast than the 2500 saloon I have with the old style filter.

pump was blue printed recently so all good.

Just wondering how the oil cooler might drain back when left for a while.. pipes are above the sump level.

Tim