TR6 coolant flush and replacement

Hi all,

I want to flush out and replace I coolant from my 73 TR6.  There is no drain tap on the radiator so I presume I’ll need to undo the bottom hose, but which other hose/ pipe do I disconnect to flush out the system with my garden hose, assuming I’m using the correct method. Any advice please? 
Thanks

There's either a drain tap or a blanking bolt on the block, just above the starter motor. If nothing flows from it you need to fish around inside to remove whatever is blocking the flow.

If you use a heat gun to warm the bottom radiator hose for about 20-30 seconds it will pull/twist off fairly easily.

Wear heavy gloves to grasp the hot hose, so it is not painful. Large collection pan at the ready.

The block plug on my car was a hex-head bolt- it would be good to use a matching size hex socket to remove it.

It took quite a bit of force and a socket other than 6 point might have rounded the hex head points.

Edited by Sapphire72

If you just want to backflush the radiator , undo the top and bottom hoses on the radiator with the engine cold, then put the garden hose in the bottom radiator hose nozzle and seal around it as well as you can with rags. Turn on the hose to backflush- usually a lot of gunk id discharged when you first start. You might need to hold the hose and rags into the nozzle to make it seal properly.

Having gone this far, I usually flush with the flow backwards and forwards until the discharge is clear water .

Make sure you get all the air out of the system when you refill, you may also have to operate the heater flat out to ensure this.

I did this job when i bought my tr6 back in 2012

searching around i found a two part flush and neutralise chemical cleaner from Holtz i think

ran the cleaner in the engine for the prescribed time, then flushed as above, then added the second part.

a LOT of **** came out and the engine now runs at a very stable temp and the heater works well (for a TR)

so perhaps try something similar?

steve