Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A quick question guys before I start ripping the car to pieces... Heater fan does not seem to be working on my 6. To make matters worse when switched on it blows the fuse. There was also some smoke, which is not a good sign. Anyone had the same problem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

I replaced the original heater with a squirrel fan, wich is three speed, I managed to fix the original switch head,onto the new switch  now twist instead of pull but looks right

Also rejiged  the pipe work, so the hot air blows out of the side vents,   top of the heater box I drilled a lot of 1/4  holes this allows air into the heater without opening the flap

I keep the flap shut in the wet, dont want water getting down in the plenum,  in the rain it works really well at demisting  not for the faint hearted,

Pink 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pinky said:

Hi 

I replaced the original heater with a squirrel fan, wich is three speed, I managed to fix the original switch head,onto the new switch  now twist instead of pull but looks right

Also rejiged  the pipe work, so the hot air blows out of the side vents,   top of the heater box I drilled a lot of 1/4  holes this allows air into the heater without opening the flap

I keep the flap shut in the wet, dont want water getting down in the plenum,  in the rain it works really well at demisting  not for the faint hearted,

Pink 

 

 

 

Wow that was a bit of an  upgrade. I was hoping to get away with a squirt of WD40.

Unfortunately my current 6 is a later car, so no flap over the plenum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would remove the entire heater box, this also allows you to clean and inspect the rest, including new hoses, new foam “seal” around the flap, lube the cables and a flush of the matrix.

Waldi

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the exact same problem, it turns out to be typical poor design. the wiring for the motor inside the heater box runs too close to the low speed resistor, which generates high temperature when in circuit , i.e. low speed fan, This heats the insulation which can then sag and short out on the casing.

Solution i'm afraid is removal of the heater, repair of the wire and I strongly suggest some heat resistant tubing to cover said wire.

Good Luck

Richard..

Edited by SpeedFreak
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SpeedFreak said:

I had the exact same problem, it turns out to be typical poor design. the wiring for the motor inside the heater box runs too close to the low speed resistor, which generates high temperature when in circuit , i.e. low speed fan, This heats the insulation which can then sag and short out on the casing.

Solution i'm afraid is removal of the heater, repair of the wire and I strongly suggest some heat resistant tubing to cover said wire.

Good Luck

Richard..

Thanks Richard.

Looked at some photos online to remind myself of the layout and it does not seem like a particularly difficult job to get the heater out. Give me chance to sort out a few other wiring glitches while I am under the dash. Also a chance to replace all the water hoses with a new set that came with the car.

The car is in a small garage so I will wait for a nice clear day and get the car on the drive. I will then have a bit more room to play with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My radiator matrix failed last week, I've bypassed the radiator with a half inch copper tube until I can get the moral strength to tackle the job. I had the dashboard out last winter, and to be frank- I've only needed the heater maybe half a dozen times in the last 22 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck Richard, the worst bit for me was getting at the three nuts holding the heater assy, you can see them okay but getting a spanner on them is tricky to say the least. I had the engine and gearbox out at the time so had plenty of access, not that I am suggesting this is necessary

If you need any heat resistant sleeving, I had to buy a metre to get 150 mm so have plenty, let me know if you need any and I will post you some.

Richard..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the heater switch as there is an unused terminal at the rear that can often touch the metal dash causing the fuse to blow. Cap it off with a plastic sleeve

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter keefe said:

Check the heater switch as there is an unused terminal at the rear that can often touch the metal dash causing the fuse to blow. Cap it off with a plastic sleeve

Thanks for the tip Peter. Took a look but nothing touching.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the same problem as you but it was a short in the switch try taking that out of the circuit , use a feed + direct from the Battery and touch the green and yellow and the other green and colour to see that high and low speed work. If they work then it’s your switch shorting inside. Cheers Clem

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Had the same problem as you but it was a short in the switch try taking that out of the circuit , use a feed + direct from the Battery and touch the green and yellow and the other green and colour to see that high and low speed work. If they work then it’s your switch shorting inside. Cheers Clem

Thanks Clem. That is certainly worth checking before I do anything more serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my multi-meter out this morning and checked the heater wiring and there was a short in the motor circuit. So out came the heater and it is not good news. Was hoping for a few melted wires, which I certainly had. But the big problem was that the bakelite board that holds the motor brushes was cooked to death. Badly distorted, bubbled on the surface and it fell into two pieces when I took it out. So now I need a new motor. Bugger.

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.9a40874580c418782ef468112308539d.jpeg

IMG_0248.thumb.jpeg.65d5828724e2210dfb0c7d4edda3b9cc.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

Revington do replacement motors - not cheap though.

 

Roger

I was on the Revington website earlier today. You are correct, not cheap.

I am currently looking for an alternative 2-speed 12v motor that I can fit into the existing heater unit. I am sure there is one out there somewhere.

Does anyone know what speeds the original Lucas motor was supposed to run at? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Revington must be getting them from somewhere. I seem to remember the same motor is used in the USA in their yellow school buses.

I've managed to salvage mine but its not great so when I get a bit of time I'm going to have a go at fitting something more powerful into the existing must be something out there that will fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard Green 54 said:

Got my multi-meter out this morning and checked the heater wiring and there was a short in the motor circuit. So out came the heater and it is not good news. Was hoping for a few melted wires, which I certainly had. But the big problem was that the bakelite board that holds the motor brushes was cooked to death. Badly distorted, bubbled on the surface and it fell into two pieces when I took it out. So now I need a new motor. Bugger.

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.9a40874580c418782ef468112308539d.jpeg

IMG_0248.thumb.jpeg.65d5828724e2210dfb0c7d4edda3b9cc.jpeg

Hi Richard.

I replaced the motor in my heater earlier this year. I think the board looked ok in the motor I replaced, If you're interested I can dig it out. Your'e welcome to it no guarantee it will work but might be worth a try.

Cheers Stephen

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stephen H said:

Hi Richard.

I replaced the motor in my heater earlier this year. I think the board looked ok in the motor I replaced, If you're interested I can dig it out. Your'e welcome to it no guarantee it will work but might be worth a try.

Cheers Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the offer. If all else fails I might take you up on that.

But firstly, what did you replace your motor with? Did you manage to find an elusive replacement or change it for something else?

Regards,

Richard

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Richard Green 54 said:

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the offer. If all else fails I might take you up on that.

But firstly, what did you replace your motor with? Did you manage to find an elusive replacement or change it for something else?

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

I found a used motor on eBay  it needed a good clean up but worked. It was an identical looking Smiths motor, it had a different fan blade but bolted in place nicely. My resistor is shot so I've only one speed.

There are a few on eBay at the moment this one looks the same as the one I got

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Motor-Fan-Overhauled-New-Brushes/202893155458?hash=item2f3d5fdc82:g:LU4AAOSwn~JeKaBb

And other one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SMITHS-HEATER-MOTOR-FHM-4322/324060366970?hash=item4b7380c87a:g:~WgAAOSw63teNXbp

I think mine cost a tenner so took a chance on it working which it did. 

I've found the board just send me a private message if you'd like it.

Cheers Stephen

Photo 01-02-2020, 20 29 52_compressed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.