Lowering springs

I’d like to lower my 6 but not up rate it to the point my teeth will fall out. 

I bought some rear springs but reading various reports I’m not sure it’ll sit much lower if at all and they’re 420lb jobbies. TT4212PR

anyone got any thoughts or guidance? 

FAE374E4-EE75-414E-B322-F340C3779186.jpeg

Lowering without stiffening is not possible, the bump stops are not supposed to act as springs !   However a rear anti-roll bar will reduce roll without a jarring ride. And remove some of the understeer built into the standard setup.

I got 420 springs on my TR6, they are lower than standard, at least the «standard» that is sold as that. But probably not much lower than worn standard springs. Anyway I am happy with how it looks and how it rides, would not want it any firmer though.

Magnus

Hi if you have bought from moss then beware, the diameter is wider than it should be and they touch the rear bridge causing a noise short. Ask me how I know. I reported to moss and they said they had a supplier problem. I bought some from rimmers and they are the correct diameter 10cm about 3/4” lower

the ride can be hard especially if you have fitted spax shocks instead of Armstrong’s I set-the shock level at 2/3clicks this makes for a softer ride but firm.

Hi, 

with lower front springs you drive very likely on the rubber bump stops because the shock absorbers have very little way.

This happened to me with the Spax and driving was that a pain! So I made the bump stops shorter for about 2 cm.

Currently I drive old Monroes which are in lovely condition with modified lower shock absorber brachets.

I'm very pleased with the lower look if the car and with the driving comfort.

Ciao, Marco

The bump stop issue is serious. If a corner bottoms out on its bump stop during hard cornering almost all the car's weight transfers to that tyre, which will immediately slide with no warning. Been there, done that at 60mph, fortunately on a wide track. Uprating suspensions safely is trickier to get right than it looks.

Peter

I found that the shocker bottomed out before the bump stop, caused the shocker to snap at the bottom fitting my friend had worse slapped his trailing arm where the shocker fits. As peter says not as easy as it looks.

Ups, indeed your post is about the rear, I'm on the front!

But you know - only lower the car on the rear, always driving uphill, costs you more fuel.

Lower the car on the front safes fuel, believe it or not!

But there are no bump stops on the front? 

Here a photo from 2013,

the bump stops of the Spax stamped throught and through after the first 300 km ride with my lowerded front coil springs.

Springs are original, but lowered for about 20 or 25 mm (I don't remember), thats double lower on the wheel arch (on TR4A-TR6).

P1150554b.JPG.6c0d5e28b3870280ab35c869a5a96d0f.JPG

Next 2 photos about my modified lower shock brackets from 2019 (with Monroe shocks)

FullSizeRender.jpg.47de62fd26bb6e85b43b68efac803b3c.jpg  P1140327-b.JPG.0569b63b00124453ead9134f164d9983.JPG

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320