TR4A Sunvisor Cleaning !

Depends what the dirt is Conrad! I plastered mine with Autoglym vinyl cleaner then sealed them in a plastic bag for a few weeks. That and scrubbing with a toothbrush got the general dirt off, as well as the underseal they'd been painted with (yes, really) but not the stains from Evo-Stik that was used to stick blue fur fabric on! I've tried various things to bleach out the glue stains but think I'll need to buy some vinyl paint to cover that.

Pete

Hi Conrad,

I tried many proprietary cleaners with no luck on the bad stains.

The best I have found is cellulose thinners :o    I use a 1/2" brush with the bristles cut down .

Scrub the thinners into the plastic then wipe off with a damp rag - do this quickly as I think the thinners will eat the vinyl.

This actually removes the surface of the vinyl and you end up seeing under the surface.

Roger

Thanks Chaps, I should have said I have already scrubbed it with soap and water  !

So might try your suggestion Roger, although sounds like I had better be cautious.

See you at Stoneleigh. 

Conrad.

33 minutes ago, stillp said:

Depends what the dirt is Conrad! I plastered mine with Autoglym vinyl cleaner then sealed them in a plastic bag for a few weeks. That and scrubbing with a toothbrush got the general dirt off, as well as the underseal they'd been painted with (yes, really) but not the stains from Evo-Stik that was used to stick blue fur fabric on! I've tried various things to bleach out the glue stains but think I'll need to buy some vinyl paint to cover that.

Pete

Will try that too Pete, 

Thankyou.

Toothbrush and toothpaste which is slightly abrasive.

I painted mine black  with aerosol vinyl paint (also avail in white) some years ago and still look good.

Chris

Hi Conrad,

I found Cif (Jif as it was then) and a nail brush got most of the general grime off my sunvisors. I then rinsed with clean water, dried them and painted with a good quality white vinyl silk emulsion. That was over 30 years and I treated the hard top lining and all other white PVC trim the same way, it really gave the interior a lift. All that has been required since is an occasional clean with mild detergent. The pics don't really do the appearance justice.

Tim

Cockpit.JPG

DSC01144.JPG

DSC01145.JPG