TR4 TANK PULLING VACUUM

Hi Everyone,

A quick set of related questions. Whilst draining the aluminium fuel tank on my 1964 TR4 ready to install R9 grade fuel hose everywhere, I hadn't opened the fuel tank cap and noticed that when I did it hissed as the lid was raised. The tank was less than half full. Is there a vent anywhere? Do I have anything to worry about?  I am hoping that flow to standard layout Strombergs will not lead to disaster in normal flow demand from the tank. Am I correct, or is there a vent somewhere that I need to sort out?  Fuel cap is standard flip up type.

Best wishes    Willie

Hi Willie,

the standard steel TR4 fuel tank has vent pipe. So this would not cause any vacuum.

The TR4A has a drill hole in the filler cap amd should not cause a problem.

It maybe that your fuel pipe drain was greater than normal usage and the drill hole could not cope.

So !!!! have you got a drill hole vent anywhere near the filler cap.??

If you drive the car a good distance. Stop and quickly lift the fuel cap - does it give a sucking sound. it should not.

Roger 

Thanks Roger. I haven't noticed any sucking sound, but the gauge does read low when the car is in motion! Does that Indicate a problem?  I expected to find a small hole in the filler which had been blocked by waxing the car, but none evident, hence my original Q. How does a normal set up vent the tank?