Gearbox front oil seal

Hi Forum,

I am currently working to replace various seals on my TR4 gearbox in the vain hope of stopping drips.  So I do not make an error in copying a previous owners mistake may I ask about replacing the oil seal in the gearbox nose/input shaft. 

Should the new oil seal sit in the base of the nose housing or does it simply sit flush with the upper surface.  I think it might be tapered and so the seal will not seat all the way down but I want to be sure as the new one does not want to go in too far.

The workshop manual and internet do not seem to give me any pictures to help.

Many thanks

Mark

image.thumb.png.c2a29cd36f5c749cc2478b9ee232d5af.png

Heres a picture from my TR2,3,4 manual.

It will depend really where the lip of the seal is in the seal itself,  Some have fitted a double lip seal here.

Make sure the circlip on the input bearing is not blocking the drain hole on the left side of the gearbox, make sure all the bolts have only copper washers fitted as the threads are open into the gearbox, including the 2 at the bottom on the layshaft hole.

John