24 minutes ago, roy53 said:

i wonder about the loading on an unknown concrete floor, especially the 2 rear feet.

Has the same restrictions as the Strongman Tamar lift and a few others with the travelling foot and the restricted access underneath.

The travelling foot on rollers does a grand job of cutting up any soft floor covering (pvc tiles etc) and because it's action is a tilted scissor the car will rotate towards the front or the rear of the garage when the scissor goes up depending upon which way round you have it. The very similar Automotech 7530 or the Strongman Clifton scissor lifts have separate rams underneath each ramp and a double knuckle scissor action whereby the cars are lifted near enough vertically. This lift also has all the junk with support arms and the hydraulic cylinder from one end which makes access there more difficult, although you could reverse the car and just work from the one end.

On the other hand it looks a decent finish and the car rotating supporting arms should give decent access on one end anyway. The pricing is probably about £500 less than the Tamar and the Automotech and about £1k cheaper than the Clifton lift both of which are restricted to a 1 metre lift which allows enough space to sit under and work on. This is advertised as a medium rise lift but I couldn't spot any dimensions.  The Automotech and Strongman Clifton are separate ramp lifts with a crosstube arrangement which can be put undrfloor making a neat installation.

P1010201.thumb.JPG.00226af6a4f7cd837bd1f1b381a2ef7d.JPG

You could try the same and sink the B&H lift into the floor (cost me £150) although you wouldn't have the same free access down the middle. It looks a good price though for a lift which should make your lifting safer as long as the floor will stand the point loadings. The Clifton and Automotech lifts are both contained with a steel cassette where the sliding foot traverses spreading the loading over the 1.5 metre by 500mm footprint for each lift, making it safe and easy loadings upon problematic floors.

Mick Richards 

unfortunately I don't how thick the garage floor is ,without drilling a bore hole .

unless I contact the house builders, there's much to research before buying a lift .

it states over 1500 thousand satisfied customers,but that could be worldwide or on village?

michael.

Hi Michael

I absolutely love Mick’s set up and it would be choice. I’m sure Mick has said in the past his is a Strongman Clifton with the central section being uncluttered and that is more expensive new. But they also do one called a Montford which also has a clear centre and that’s about £1500, but only lifts to 1m rather than 1.2m so I guess its all about compromises. A clear central section and no wheels on the floor but at a little more cost and a lower max lift height.

I’ve not got anywhere with my version of this project as a single integral garage is a little tight anyway and I’m still not sure I’m allowed to spend so much on a garage lift and SH units are quite rare it seems.

But i think you've got to be fairly confident on the strength of the floor, it would not be god if the pressure on those rear wheels made a tiny section of the floor fail and destabilised the car.

Cheers  Keith

As you say attack the floor with a long masonery drill, my house is a 1937 Semi with separate double car garage.( long).

After 110 mm the drill started chucking out hardcore, my on site builder ( new bathroom and garage X tension) charged me £150 to cut out a box shape around the periphery of the lift by plus 10 mm with a still saw and kangoo'd the centre out of it down to 100 mm. Excavated a further 150 mm through the hardcore and laid a reinforced concrete slab with steel mesh into the box that would take the lift and finished it 100 mm down from the original garage floor. Left it for 3 weeks to go off and then dropped the lift (weighs 550 kg, overhead beam in garage and winch ) into the hole and let the concrete finish curing before using.

A little home handiman wood framing in between the ramps gives a smooth surface to walk or sit on ( no jacking) and now no more bruises from tripping over the lift being sat on the surface.

I bought my Strongman Clifton used from e bay from Strongman who were disposing of it after snatching it back from a hire company that had gone through,...for £500.  Didn't come with a hydraulic controller but I ought a generic one again from e bay and piped it up for a further £270 . Strongman do have used lifts sporadically and are worth checking out.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

This is my one from Twin Busch. My slab was laid fourteen years ago at a depth of 150mm with reinforcing. The recommended depth was slightly more but they supply a capping which spreads the loading on the floor. Mine did not need it after testing the concrete and depth. The max loading lift is 4200 KG so our TR'S are well within the lift capability.

Cost 2k plus their fitters cost of £500 and a certificate of conformity when installed.

Well happy with it. I cut two slots in the ceiling so front and back screens go up and into the space. I have two RSJ's going left to right supporting the roof structure hence the two slots.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter

20190927_173522_resized_1.jpg

On 1/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, Motorsport Mickey said:

Has the same restrictions as the Strongman Tamar lift and a few others with the travelling foot and the restricted access underneath.

The travelling foot on rollers does a grand job of cutting up any soft floor covering (pvc tiles etc) and because it's action is a tilted scissor the car will rotate towards the front or the rear of the garage when the scissor goes up depending upon which way round you have it. The very similar Automotech 7530 or the Strongman Clifton scissor lifts have separate rams underneath each ramp and a double knuckle scissor action whereby the cars are lifted near enough vertically. This lift also has all the junk with support arms and the hydraulic cylinder from one end which makes access there more difficult, although you could reverse the car and just work from the one end.

On the other hand it looks a decent finish and the car rotating supporting arms should give decent access on one end anyway. The pricing is probably about £500 less than the Tamar and the Automotech and about £1k cheaper than the Clifton lift both of which are restricted to a 1 metre lift which allows enough space to sit under and work on. This is advertised as a medium rise lift but I couldn't spot any dimensions.  The Automotech and Strongman Clifton are separate ramp lifts with a crosstube arrangement which can be put undrfloor making a neat installation.

P1010201.thumb.JPG.00226af6a4f7cd837bd1f1b381a2ef7d.JPG

You could try the same and sink the B&H lift into the floor (cost me £150) although you wouldn't have the same free access down the middle. It looks a good price though for a lift which should make your lifting safer as long as the floor will stand the point loadings. The Clifton and Automotech lifts are both contained with a steel cassette where the sliding foot traverses spreading the loading over the 1.5 metre by 500mm footprint for each lift, making it safe and easy loadings upon problematic floors.

Mick Richards 

Just for a moment Mick I thought you had a TR4 sitting on a bench at the end of your garage, Doh

Paul

6 minutes ago, Harbottle said:

Just for a moment Mick I thought you had a TR4 sitting on a bench at the end of your garage, Doh

Paul

Might as well as :lol: , I'd filled in underneath with priceless parts  junk and it was solid. Now spread out a little and the TR4 is in rebuild...swept half of it up off the floor...sob.

Mick Richards 

I'm sure you'll get there. I Like the way you have set up the ramp-very neat. I would suggest some sort of padding around the garage pillars either side to avoid door swing possible damage. Old piece of carpet or some such.

Paul