Not advised by the FBHVC.  To quote from their press release advice:

" OAT was introduced in the mid-1990s and the products are biodegradable, recyclable and do not contain either silicates or phosphates and are designed to be longer lasting. However these products do seem to cause problems in older engines; over and above the ability of antifreeze to find the smallest crevice and leak, OAT antifreezes have been accused of destroying seals and gaskets and causing a great deal of damage in ‘old’ engines. For this reason the manufacturers do not recommend their use in historic vehicles." 

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Not advised by the FBHVC.  To quote from their press release advice:

" OAT was introduced in the mid-1990s and the products are biodegradable, recyclable and do not contain either silicates or phosphates and are designed to be longer lasting. However these products do seem to cause problems in older engines; over and above the ability of antifreeze to find the smallest crevice and leak, OAT antifreezes have been accused of destroying seals and gaskets and causing a great deal of damage in ‘old’ engines. For this reason the manufacturers do not recommend their use in historic vehicles." 

I had a feeling that was the case, thanks.

Were those fitted with Wellseal ?

Mick Richards

3 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Were those fitted with Wellseal ?

Mick Richards

I’ve used nothing else since I liberated a huge tin of life expired Welseal from an aircraft repair facility in the early 1980s.......and I’m still using it with a dash of acetone every now and again to thin it. 

3 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

I’ve used nothing else since I liberated a huge tin of life expired Welseal from an aircraft repair facility in the early 1980s.......and I’m still using it with a dash of acetone every now and again to thin it. 

If that OAT antifreeze can do that to a Wellseal coated steelgasket I'm going to continue and go nowhere near it ! Thanks Andrew.

Mick Richards

I tend to be very sparing with sealant as I don’t like any excess circulating in the engine so the gaskets would have had the faces painted with a very thin coat when fitted and the thin gasket edges would have been left exposed to the coolant.  I can only put the excessive corrosion down to the OAT antifreeze as I’ve stripped much older engines and not seen any evidence of figure of eight corrosion approaching this before or since. 

Fernox Alphi-11 is recommended by some. It has been discussed here before:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/49908-antifreeze/ (post by Grease monkey about 2/3 down the page)

https://fernox.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/12/alphi_11_5l_v.002.pdf

The issue with OAT is not that it is aggressive or damaging parts, but that it is formulated to protect only the certain metals used in modern engines.. that means that certain alloys featured in older engines are not protected...and then the water freely corrodes those unprotected alloys.

My answer, same as above - Do Not Use OAT in your TR.  It is said to create a slimy mess or crystals in the water ways, radiator and heater cores.  See image from USA.

Dex Cool is said to have been an OAT derivative.  Cost GM a whole chunk of cash.

https://www.bigclassaction.com/settlement/general-motors-dexcool-antifreeze.php

another view  http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

The Land Rover forum did this in 2015  https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/substitute-coolant-havoline-toxic-72140/

Cheers

Peter W

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Image added
4 hours ago, mike ellis said:

Glysantin G48 does contain silicates but it also contains organic acids making it sort of hybrid antifreeze.  I would only use the Bluecol type, it is no big deal changing it every two years rather than the longer periods for OAT containing antifreezes.

Mike

no problem since 11 years

16 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

I tend to be very sparing with sealant as I don’t like any excess circulating in the engine so the gaskets would have had the faces painted with a very thin coat when fitted and the thin gasket edges would have been left exposed to the coolant.  I can only put the excessive corrosion down to the OAT antifreeze as I’ve stripped much older engines and not seen any evidence of figure of eight corrosion approaching this before or since. 

Hi Andrew,

don't be sparing with the Welseal. Once applied and a little air on the surface it will stay intact. The coolant will not wash it away.

It serves as a very decent surface protector.  

When I fit my liners I tend to dribble more Welseal down into the base so that the F08's are Welcovered.

Roger

Use Evan's waterless coolant. Job done.  I'll  get my coat as I know there are many naysayers on here......:ph34r: