Bonnet and louvres

1 hour ago, roger murray-evans said:

The 2 inner slots on the 4 slot bonnet were apparently deleted on the later TR2s because they

permitted engine compartment fumes to enter the passenger via the newly introduced scuttle vent.

So they appear to have had some effect on engine compartment venting!

Roger M-E

" beware of the high pressure area extending forwards from the base of the windscreen, that's why car manufacturers fit heater inlet vents there, they get fed with a pressured air feed into the heater which helps flow out.

"When the car is in use that outward going air is compromised by the high pressure area from the windscreen which battles with it trying to stuff it back in !"

I guess the manufacturers and myself are in complete accord !

Mick Richards

I made a new ally bonnet for my car and went to Shapecraft in Hinckley to get the louvres put in. The work was spot on and a lot less expensive than quotes I got at the spares day. Might be worth giving them a call. 

35670858786_59a0c6a6ea_z.jpgbonnet45 by Geoff Lee, on Flickr

34869064834_10dc57d8d5_z.jpg005 by Geoff Lee, on Flickr

Edited by spyder dryver
1 hour ago, spyder dryver said:

I made a new ally bonnet for my car and went to Shapecraft in Hinckley to get the louvres put in. The work was spot on and a lot less expensive than quotes I got at the spares day. Might be worth giving them a call. 

35670858786_59a0c6a6ea_z.jpgbonnet45 by Geoff Lee, on Flickr

34869064834_10dc57d8d5_z.jpg005 by Geoff Lee, on Flickr

Geoff is my race mechanic with a penchant for nice kit cars.

Just to advise the vents in the cowling immediately in front of the screen are by the manufacture, as advised they aren't daft and they use the high pressure area in front of the windscreen to push air down into the heater box for the passenger compartment. The vents Geoff had put in at the rear of the bonnet in the low pressure area are finished nicely and the Shapecraft guy did them for a price well underneath what many other Louvre fitting firms were offering. Although Geoff was able to leave the bonnet for a number of weeks so it could be done in non priority time, they are well worth trying for a quote.

Mick Richards

Geoff the new louvres look great, but do they not take air out of the engine bay, for that heat and possibly fumes to then be pushed down into the interior / heater system.? 

I was advised, many years ago, while an apprentice designer, that engine bay vents immediately in front of the windscreen were a dangerous feature ..should there be a overheated water spurt / steam cloud, or oil an leak.  Mind you "back in the day" it was not uncommon to hear or see evidence of an engine bay fire.  I do recall seeing, back in 1980, an XJ Jaguar on fire, on the dual carriageway between Warwick and Coventry - That appeared fiercely hot.   

I see your car also has what looks like extractor vents down the sides of the bonnet. 

Pete   

4 hours ago, Bfg said:

Geoff the new louvres look great, but do they not take air out of the engine bay, for that heat and possibly fumes to then be pushed down into the interior / heater system.? 

I was advised, many years ago, while an apprentice designer, that engine bay vents immediately in front of the windscreen were a dangerous feature ..should there be a overheated water spurt / steam cloud, or oil an leak.  Mind you "back in the day" it was not uncommon to hear or see evidence of an engine bay fire.  I do recall seeing, back in 1980, an XJ Jaguar on fire, on the dual carriageway between Warwick and Coventry - That appeared fiercely hot.   

I see your car also has what looks like extractor vents down the sides of the bonnet. 

Pete   

Hi Pete. I don't know if my car even qualifies as having an "interior" since it has very low cockpit sides, no doors and no roof. It's like sitting in a wind tunnel stuck on "Full". If there are any fumes being diverted my way I can't say I've really noticed too much and my brain is already addled anyway. Most kit cars of the "7" ilk have bonnet louvres like mine, Caterham included and they ( Caterham) have been through full manufacturer approval. Most of the others have been through the IVA test. 

I'm sure that my car already had plenty of heat vents, including the OEM side vents you spotted. I added the bonnet louvres on aesthetic grounds. 

I do "nod" to safety on occasion including fitting full "Schroth"  3" harnesses but the car itself would probably scrape an NCAP rating of -10.  It has 200hp+ and weighs about the same as a classic Mini.  If I really sat down and thought about it  I wouldn't dare drive it at all, even slowly. The same reasoning applies to a lesser extent to TRs too.  I guess it's risk versus reward at play. 

Edited by spyder dryver
On 1/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Ian Vincent said:

A few years ago I went around the Morgan factory and there was a guy there punching louvres almost by hand at some speed. Obviously he is working on a standard panel shape and he had some kind of jig to provide a back stop (rather like the above video) but he seemed just eyeball the distance between the louvres.

Rgds Ian

He probably learnt how to do it from his dad who learnt it from his dad and so forth. I was talking to a fellow there who was the 3rd generation doing the same job. From memory he was shaping the timber for the doors and scuttle.

Edited by John McCormack

Been a busy non TRing weekend so not started the louvres yet. But the bonnet is in great condition and is in primer to prevent flash rust.

BCD1F187-8977-4E1F-B765-D197B1AFC97E.jpeg

121A6C57-550C-42EA-B3BC-D3405418F50E.jpeg

On 1/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, RoyM said:

just my opinion, but just get a second hand bonnet and put as many louvres in as you like, you can always put the old one back on if not happy and list the louvre bonnet on ebay and get your money back. 

Second hand bonnet - I can help with that one. I think I may have the world’s largest collection of sidescreen TR bonnets!

David

• 1 month later...

Update

the bonnet has been pressed louvred. 
then some light fettling to take the edges and sharpness off the louvres before couple of  primer types and coats.

537E172B-466D-4403-9E7B-5A3050E6F401.jpeg

04479AC7-8D1C-49D7-BE27-BDD30D16F01F.jpeg

2B5FEDB8-8C17-4BDC-9C36-386681BA88E3.jpeg

D4514DD9-B4E6-43A8-920E-4FB9B37C7413.jpeg

AE6D770A-D1E7-4879-AA38-09E5968210B9.jpeg

Painted and Back on the car today. Hinges and bonnet clips fitted. 

took Micks advice and left a bit more space before starting the louvres.

test run in the Cheshire countryside.

it stays on and when left to idle the heat does vent out nicely. When I turn on rad fan the warm air escapes a bit faster. 
I presume when moving it will vent with a little more umph with a pre-rad cold air feed to carbs and rad fan.

I'm pleased with the look. 

4D36FE14-5D4A-487B-A251-771AD77F7139.jpeg

C4E5A8EC-6EDC-45D4-8B8A-C81AB63879FC.jpeg

B23C61F5-77E6-4393-86D1-0F96C569BB95.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
7 hours ago, Hamish said:

Painted and Back on the car today. Hinges and bonnet clips fitted. 

took Micks advice and left a bit more space before starting the louvres.

test run in the Cheshire countryside.

it stays on and when left to idle the heat does vent out nicely. When I turn on rad fan the warm air escapes a bit faster. 
I presume when moving it will vent with a little more umph with a pre-rad cold air feed to carbs and rad fan.

I'm pleased with the look. 

4D36FE14-5D4A-487B-A251-771AD77F7139.jpeg

C4E5A8EC-6EDC-45D4-8B8A-C81AB63879FC.jpeg

B23C61F5-77E6-4393-86D1-0F96C569BB95.jpeg

Very discreet, Hamish. Aesthetics and practicality. Looks the part and does the job.

20 minutes ago, David Brancaleone said:

Very discreet, Hamish. Aesthetics and practicality. Looks the part and does the job.

Thanks David

most kind. 

:)

7 hours ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Looks Awesome!

Cheers

Tush

Thanks chef. All came together in the end. Enjoying your videos. We are having it easier here, at least we don’t have to clear feet of snow to get out like you do.

9 hours ago, tomfpurves said:

Congratulations Hamish it looks great with Louvre and hardtop.I think also LSD. Well done

Looking forward to seeing you on the hills this year

Tom

Thanks Tom. 
The louvres have been on my want list for a while. Seeing your beautiful car in the flesh with them made my mind up. 

I think the LSD could be a step too far for my skill sets !!

looking forward to catching up. 
Mira is my first if they give me a slot.

H

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Thanks Tom. 
The louvres have been on my want list for a while. Seeing your beautiful car in the flesh with them made my mind up. 

I think the LSD could be a step too far for my skill sets !!

looking forward to catching up. 
Mira is my first if they give me a slot.

H

Just remember with the LSD it will want to go straight on so you need to "drive it" more when cornering. I learnt that way back in the early Seventies when going from a 3.4 Jaguar MK2 to a 3.8 version as the 3.8 had LSD as standard.

Stuart.