Windscreen washer

My TR4 has an original 'push' plunger and it is, frankly, rather pathetic. I'd like to fit an electric pump but keep the appearance of the 'button' the same. Any suggestions please?

Andy

1585081253_UnderdashLHS.jpg.d0d1d741af322f115a0f7f9f7bec905e.jpg

I mounted an electric pump under the dash support rail near the overdrive relay, & used a TR3 light switch in place of the wiper switch.

1st pull for wipers, twist & 2nd pull for washers

Bob.

I did the same as Richard but I epoxy cemented a momentary switch into the end of mine. I'm now using a non-Lucas pump having had problems previously with the rubber vanes on the Lucas pump drying and sticking - think it may have been that I mounted it 'upside down' originally (motor pointing down) - so no washer fluid to keep the vanes lubricated.

Only problem now is the volume of water I can pump can deplete the washer bottle in less than 30 seconds. Does need the ignition on though...

Mine was mounted by the OD relay too.

Darran

I modified my manual wash to electric. The circuit was very simple . 12 volts supply to switch from switch to wash motor then from motor to ground.

Modifying the dash based plunger was the more complicated part, but attached is a diagram of what I did. I made this mod in 2003. I seem to remember having the details published in TR Action at that time.

Good Luck

TT1927715225_24DBSwitch02.thumb.jpg.d459b7528786dcafb7d935db30cc1338.jpg725471620_24DBSwitch.jpg.c77462811fc0a84b76295afd971567e0.jpg

Edited by tthomson

just doing the same on mine.  different approach.  TR6 2 speed wiper motor and matching late TR6 2 speed wiper/washer switch.  The electric washer kind. Not cheap but I'm told it should enable the self parking function.  The TR4 knob fits on the hex shaft ok so should look original and frees up a hole on the plinth for something else.

I like the old-fashioned manual pump which doesn't squirt fluid by the bucketful (bearing in mind that the reservoir in a TR is usually pretty small) and, by gauging the force applied to the knob, one can adjust the squirt to the part of the screen which needs attention.

Ian Cornish (Luddite!)