Help!!

i bought a fully restored Tr3a last August. The car was in beautiful condition. It has some provinence , as it was ordered directly from the Triumph/Standard factory in 1957, by a chap in Pittsburg USA, to his specification. The car was finished in Signal red. Some years later, it was then shipped to South Africa, where it was then converted to right hand drive and resprayed: BRG. It came to the Uk in 2018. I have owned it since August last year. It is kept in a garage under a rather expensive breathable indoor car cover, supplied by a renowned company. I also have 3 other cars stored in the garage, all covered up. I came to use the car for the first time this year. Sadly, the paintwork on several panels on the TR  now have Lots of little low profile bubbles on them. I have taken it he car to a professional car paint sprayer and he is at a loss as to how this might have been caused. I’m asking if anyone has had a similar problem? I can only surmise that the recent spell of cold weather may have had something to do with it as the garage is not heated. The other cars are absolutely fine!!  Thoughts and suggestions please. HELP!!!

ps: there are no bubbles on the bonnet!

Moisture under the paint probably from a damp air line when painted.. I bet the bubbles can be moved with a finger nail and when popped by a pin let water out

Iain

Sounds like a dodgy respray to me!

Mine are always stored in 'carcoons' inside the garage over the winter, but I do use 'classic additions' covers on all my cars during the summer months and have never had a problem,

Biggest problem with storing cars in 'damper' climates is humidity and I always use a dehumidifier set at 55% in my garage. It also protects my tools etc, from going rusty.

The storyof my TR3a here: https://imageweaver.blogspot.com/2020/01/my-triumph-tr3a.html

Hi micro blister caused by car cover has been discussed here 

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/71025-car-cover/&tab=comments#comment-644856

think it will be use the car as is or respray :(

That sounds like it has "micro bubbling in the paint. If the bubbles are just 1mm or thereabouts dia it's unlikely they contain water (try to prick one in an out of the way position). If it is it's likely a respray to correct it is needed.

I'm afraid I've gone off having a close fitting cover of any description against the painted surfaces, I've heard a few professional restorers now say that it traps moisture against the surface of the panel which can cause the micro bubbling. Now I have the car inside a Carcoon inside the garage over winter, it comes out in late March with bright discs and panels and no reaction.

Mick Richards 

Hello Chris, welcome to the Forum.

You don’t say, do you know when (year) it was sprayed BRG and what type of paint (cellulose etc) and how many panels affected?

I’m not an ‘expert’ but, in my experience, this is 99% of the time down to something not covered in the preparation..... If it’s any consolation, I had my 3A sprayed (cellulose and original [I used to be much more sure about this - Bill Pigott!] Signal Red, half a dozen tiny blisters appeared in quick time... However, they have never got any worse; Ive done much worse in the meantime.... Don’t let this spoil the enjoyment of owning and Driving something special! 

I understand the use of a car cover in an uninsulated garage can cause these type of blisters. 

My understanding is that micro blistering is caused by the car being left in primer for too long before the top coat is applied and as a result moisture penetrates the primer and over time reacts with the bare metal to cause corrosion and micro blistering.  The solution is a bare metal respray.

Rgds Ian

PS I have micro blistering in some areas on my car and I just live with it.

5 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

My understanding is that micro blistering is caused by the car being left in primer for too long before the top coat is applied and as a result moisture penetrates the primer and over time reacts with the bare metal to cause corrosion and micro blistering.  The solution is a bare metal respray.

Rgds Ian

PS I have micro blistering in some areas on my car and I just live with it.

Not necessarily, it can be caused by a number of factors including and not limited to, water in the lines/ not draining separators/ too long lines to the spray gun/too cold when sprayed/car covers used in unsuitable conditions/unsuitable car covers/car polished too quickly after paint not allowing solvents to escape.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, foster461 said:

The fact that only some panels have the problem kind of eliminates the cover as the direct cause and points to a problem with the paint on the affected panels that may have been triggered by the cover/storage conditions.

Stan

Its mostly found on horizontal surfaces which is due to the moisture laying directly on or in them.

Stuart.

If it is any consolation, this has also happened to a friends Mercedes and Merc have acknowledged its a problem affecting a certain number of their cars and have offered a full re-spray. So even they get it wrong sometimes.