Distributor - whats the difference between a TR4 and a TR4A one please ?

As per the title : Distributor - whats the difference between a TR4 and a TR4A one please ?

The distributor supplied to me when I bought the TR4A engine  was the wrong one and rusted up inside.   Don't worry the kindly seller says I have others.  However, on searching through his stock, he only has a one (less the cap) for the TR4 ..part number 40735A.  This according to the Moss catalogue is for the TR3A - TR4 (86mm engine).  The one they state I should have is 40795 of the TR4 - TR4A  (86mm engine). 

Does anyone know what exactly is the difference and whether the TR4 may be converted to the TR4A spec. ?   

Conversely does anyone have a decent TR4A that they might sell me for a modest price.? 

Many Thanks, Pete.

23 hours ago, Bfg said:

As per the title : Distributor - whats the difference between a TR4 and a TR4A one please ?

The distributor supplied to me when I bought the TR4A engine  was the wrong one and rusted up inside.   Don't worry the kindly seller says I have others.  However, on searching through his stock, he only has a one (less the cap) for the TR4 ..part number 40735A.  This according to the Moss catalogue is for the TR3A - TR4 (86mm engine).  The one they state I should have is 40795 of the TR4 - TR4A  (86mm engine). 

Does anyone know what exactly is the difference and whether the TR4 may be converted to the TR4A spec. ?   

Conversely does anyone have a decent TR4A that they might sell me for a modest price.? 

Many Thanks, Pete.

Better to have the one you have rebuilt properly and converted specifically to suit your car by Martin http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Stuart.

Hi Pete

Ive just fitted a csi distributor to my 4a noticed a difference in running and you can ajust curves to suit there’s also one available with a immobiliser which uses a smartphone obviously more money don’t know how these compare with the distributor doctor ones price wise 

Chris

I am sure a rebuilt distributor from the Distributor Doctor is a great choice and quality is very high, but it will only have one advance curve..... I’d have thought a CSI or 123 will give the flexibility to get the setup aligned more uniquely for a particular engine with trial/error or on a rolling road.

...... Andy

I Don’t think there’s much in it. You need a RR for both to be optimised, but Martin (DD) has so many distributor maps for various engine set ups that are proven, he is more likely to get it very close from the off. No association just a very satisfied customer.

Iain