Starter terminals: Coarse Or Fine?

58 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Paul. 
cut an access hole in the gearbox tunnel cover and then you can access the top nut via a socket extension.  Removing / installing the starter is then a 10 min job.

good luck.

dave

Done that, but you need to  fix the carpets so that you can easily get at the tunnel cover- no H frame removal needed.

Hi Mike/Dave,  I am leaning towards your plan of removing the nut from inside the car... Is that nut easily accessible once the cardboard tunnel's out of the way (or an acceess hole's been cut)? I thought it was behind the (steel) bulkhead, although I have been wrong about these things, more than once before?

Cheers,

Paul.

16 hours ago, Bill944T said:

A 2nd person might reach it from “down under”.

Crikey, that's a long spanner!

Regards

Bill 

I'm down under. Where and when do you need a hand?

That'd be great John.... I'm off work this Tuesday & Wednesday; I'll get the kettle on.

Cheers,

Paul.

1 hour ago, TR Paul said:

Hi Mike/Dave,  I am leaning towards your plan of removing the nut from inside the car... Is that nut easily accessible once the cardboard tunnel's out of the way (or an acceess hole's been cut)? I thought it was behind the (steel) bulkhead, although I have been wrong about these things, more than once before?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hello Paul. 

yes access is easy peasey once you have found the right position to cut the hole. A socket extension is all you need then to access the top nut.  I have a plastic tunnel so was able to put a grommet in the hole afterwards.  Carpets just peel back so no problem there.  My wosp has a captive bolt and not a stud so you can move it slightly backwards for more access. This introduces another problem though because you need to hold the head of the bolt in a restricted area in the engine bay. Nothing too tricky though. 

will try to send photos in a bit. 

cheers

dave

Great, thanks Dave, that make it pretty clear..... be seeing you.

Cheers,

Paul

We use a crows foot or short ring on an extension with knuckle bar and or ratchet from the engine bay side on side screen cars

Peter W

EE492C2B-F95D-4566-B5DF-3164AEEDD669.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Good evening fellow TR6ers...

You might be interested to know that I have had a new threaded 'live' post fitted to TRoys' starter motor. I accessed the nuts holding the motor on, via the transmission tunnel. This tunnel is now more duct tape than cardboard, so I might be investing in a new plastic replacement, sometime this year. A big thank you to all who have provided me with advice & encouragement, especially Dave & Mike.... Long live the Forum!   (Stoneleigh here we come....)

Cheers,
Paul