Stag Power Steering Rack

It is doable, but tedious.... I think there was some good info on the method available on The technical section of Triumphstagnet.

http://www.triumphstag.net/start/index.htm

Not looked for a while, but was quite a good resource.

...... Andy 

The Stag power steering rack is a problematic unit, if you peruse the Stag forum you will find many...I mean many, reports on different steering rack suppliers and different various repair kits.

They can be rebuilt successfully but given the ball ache to remove it (sometimes involves cutting through exhaust downpipes on the headers (it did on mine) when aftermarket tubular headers are fitted, I would fit new pump pipes also. The most reliable supplier of refurbished power steering racks seems to be LD Stag parts who has a good reputation, and I fitted his refurbed rack from memory about £125.

http://www.ldpart.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=ex&page=111&sid=sid37fb67aa1aace67c6c5d112d368aee66

Yes you can rebuild yourself but after the rebuild kit costs (I think about £24 from memory) the idea of the massive labour content to get the rack out (front crossmember removal also) makes you think another £100 is a pretty decent price to avoid the 5 hours (that's what it took me, on my scissor lift and that doesn't count welding up the exhaust pipe again !) labour involved for a straightforward change over, if the rack isn't reliable !

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I have done several of these but mostly leave the spool unit alone unless the roll pin is coming loose which gives unwanted play in the rack.

I have heard of all sorts of problems with exchange racks (with the exception of LD Part mentioned by Mickey), hence if it a good rack apart from a leak I rebuild my own. They are a PITA to get on and off though!

Neil