Returning Member

Hello TR6 owners and TR Register members...

After a break of 25 years I am finally returning to TR6 ownership (and the Register). My first TR6 was a white 1970 car fitted with an original hardtop. I purchased it in very poor condition and towed it back from Swindon to my home, which at the time was in Coventry (my father worked at Standard Triumph all of his working life). The car took me 4 years to rebuild and during that time I had the body off the chassis, did most of the welding and repairs myself, replaced the hardtop with a proper hood and just left the final painting to someone who knew what they were doing. During the late 1980's and early 1990's I was a regular attendee of events and club meetings in Coventry, Staffs and Warwicks and Birmingham. Nice to see there are still one or two familiar names in the club.

My original car is still running and I believe is owned by a club member. The registration was CBJ257H. As you can see from the photo I also owned a Morgan +4 at the time. The Morgan, which I bought new, was a very inferior car and soon replaced with an Alvis TE21.

Richard9.jpg.4951465a184fa28c29f145e274df975b.jpg

Unfortunately a house move and lack of garage space saw the TR6 sold in favour of double glazing. I did keep the Alvis for a few more years but that too was eventually sold. There then followed a succession of job enforced house moves and having the time to mess around with old cars became a thing of the past.

So fast forward to 2012 and 'Animal' was acquired. He is a 2004 Jaguar XKR and lives a life of pampered luxury in his own carpeted garage. During my ownership I have doubled the mileage from 40k, to just coming up 80k. The Jaguar is a superb long distance tourer and we have been down to the south of France and later this year will make our second trip to the Spa 24 hour race. But modern cars are complex beasts and not so much fun to work on.

DSC_0139.thumb.JPG.64ff704ea2c9466a7bd96a1bc09d740a.JPG

So with retirement finally in sight I have decided to acquire another TR6. This will be one of my retirement 'improvement projects'. Money has changed hands and on Sunday I will be collecting a 1975 Pimento red car with registration HPR30N. I believe this car is also known to the register.

So now I am back in the Register... I am currently living in Berkshire and I am told that my local group is Windsor Forest. But I tend to use my cars so expect to see me out and about and rocking up at different group meetings. Looking forward to making some new friends and hopefully meeting some old ones.

PS I still have the photographs from a Birmingham group fancy dress evening that took place in the early 1990's. If any of you were members during that period the negatives might be available at the right price :lol:

Richard

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you  are a TR6 owner once again. Welcome back to the TR Register, 

I remember you well from the Coventry group when I was the group leader.. I hope you enjoy your new group, I am sure they will give you the same welcome as we did all them years ago.

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

31 minutes ago, dave-lewis said:

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you  are a TR6 owner once again. Welcome back to the TR Register, 

I remember you well from the Coventry group when I was the group leader.. I hope you enjoy your new group, I am sure they will give you the same welcome as we did all them years ago.

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you again. I heard you were in Spain from another old Coventry group member Bob Owens. I see Bob occasionally as he also moved to the dark side and bought a Jaguar XK.

Best regards,

Richard from damp Berkshire

26 minutes ago, whatmore179 said:

Hi Richard

im in the Windsor Forest Group though haven't been for a while due to other things popping up.

They are very active.

heres a link to their website.  http://wftr.co.uk/

Steve

Thanks Steve. Might see you thee one day.

Stumbled across a few old photos from the 1990's. I took this one at the August bank holiday classic car show at the NAC, Stoneleigh. Bit of a flash registration on that red car :D 

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the guy in the background with the TR2/3?. Anyone know if he is still a member?

Scan.thumb.jpeg.f4e2eddcb0a4ddcd0b2f87710a152faa.jpeg

Welcome Richard

i’ve mot been very active in the local groups lately, but like you am retiring soon ( this summer) so will hopefully be out in my 6 more

steve

Hello Richard and welcome. Like you I've recently returned to TR ownership, and like you, I've had an XKR (toured Scotland in it in 2018), sold it as I had to breathe in to get in the garage and when things went wrong, I required a computing degree to fix it. Since May, I've fixed almost everything on my TR (but at least I could do it myself), hope yours is less demanding.

22 hours ago, Mike 5 fan said:

Hello Richard and welcome. Like you I've recently returned to TR ownership, and like you, I've had an XKR (toured Scotland in it in 2018), sold it as I had to breathe in to get in the garage and when things went wrong, I required a computing degree to fix it. Since May, I've fixed almost everything on my TR (but at least I could do it myself), hope yours is less demanding.

Hi Mike, I agree with you regarding the XKR and small garages. My 70's house has an integral garage and the XK is a couple of inches too long (had to build it its own garage in the garden). Strangely enough the 1970's TR6 fits a treat.

I already have a list of jobs to do on the 6. I am starting with some much needed improvements to the electrical system. The original wiring was always a fire waiting to happen. I am going to add a secondary fuse box behind the dash. Complete with a set of nice modern blade fuses. I will then separate out the circuits so that if a fuse does blow it won't take out most of the electrical systems. Had that on Sunday when I collected the car. One of the fuses blew and took out all the usual suspects - overdrive, heater, indicators, fuel gauge, etc... 

I think I am now facing years of interesting challenges. But looking forward to it.

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

the red tr6 (ATR 60K) was once owned by Dave Lewis who has posted above.

Could the chap at the end be a very young Mike Ellis (TR3 Registrar)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes it was because of Dave's post that I included that particular picture :D I must have spent hours watching Dave and his wife (Maria?) polishing the car at various shows.

It might have been Mike Ellis with the TR3, the name is certainly familiar. But unfortunately I am rubbish at remembering names.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome!

What to say? I was amazed and delighted to read your post. I happen to be the fortunate TRR member who owns CBJ 257H these days. I bought 'The Thug' as we call him in 2002, from a private seller in Portsmouth. I'm the 6th registered keeper (5 previous on the log book). It's great to hear about my car's past and your restoration, which held up well, though I needed to fit new front wings, sills and door skins in 2011. That's after plenty of miles and a couple of winters without a garage! The highlight of this period was a trip to Ireland and driving the Ring of Kerry.

CBJ has a slightly more sheltered life now though still gets a good leg-stretching when the weather is decent. He shares my workshop and car port with a 2.5 litre GT6, a Spit Mk3 project and Scimitar GTE. There's another TR6 in the fleet, of the two wheeled variety, a 1970 Trophy TR6R 650. Pure coincidence that when I was looking for a Triumph bike, I ended up with a 1970 TR6R! The photo below shows CBJ, driven by my partner Trudi, with me on the other TR6.

CBJ is sometimes to be seen in Practical Classics, where I'm a contributor, featuring in my Staff Car Saga and in the technical pages.

It would be great to meet up and get your old TR and latest acquisition together. There's so much I'd like to ask about CBJ's history, and much I could tell you about his last 18 years.

Let's talk soon. I'm also sending yo a PM but meanwhile, welcome back to TR6 ownership.

Nigel

TR6 vs TR6 010a.jpg

Great photo Nigel. Both Triumphs looking stunning.

I have just bought a 1976 Bonneville T140V, although it has not arrived yet. Its coming from Denmark and is a US spec. I wanted a post 76 bike as that's when the gearshift changed to the left and as a fairly novice biker I didn't want to have to re-adjust my brain every time I got on the triumph. It's a bit of a restoration project but looking forward to discovering all about it.

Also what a lovely way to find a PO of your car.

Best wishes,

Sean

21 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Hi Richard,

Welcome!

What to say? I was amazed and delighted to read your post. I happen to be the fortunate TRR member who owns CBJ 257H these days. I bought 'The Thug' as we call him in 2002, from a private seller in Portsmouth. I'm the 6th registered keeper (5 previous on the log book). It's great to hear about my car's past and your restoration, which held up well, though I needed to fit new front wings, sills and door skins in 2011. That's after plenty of miles and a couple of winters without a garage! The highlight of this period was a trip to Ireland and driving the Ring of Kerry.

CBJ has a slightly more sheltered life now though still gets a good leg-stretching when the weather is decent. He shares my workshop and car port with a 2.5 litre GT6, a Spit Mk3 project and Scimitar GTE. There's another TR6 in the fleet, of the two wheeled variety, a 1970 Trophy TR6R 650. Pure coincidence that when I was looking for a Triumph bike, I ended up with a 1970 TR6R! The photo below shows CBJ, driven by my partner Trudi, with me on the other TR6.

CBJ is sometimes to be seen in Practical Classics, where I'm a contributor, featuring in my Staff Car Saga and in the technical pages.

It would be great to meet up and get your old TR and latest acquisition together. There's so much I'd like to ask about CBJ's history, and much I could tell you about his last 18 years.

Let's talk soon. I'm also sending yo a PM but meanwhile, welcome back to TR6 ownership.

Nigel

TR6 vs TR6 010a.jpg

I was at work one day and one of guys said "you had a TR6 didn't you?". "Yes" I said, why are you asking? So he showed me a magazine with some pictures of a white TR6. "Mine was a white" I said... "Bloody hell that is my TR..." And so began my present journey.

Really pleased to make contact with you Nigel. The car looks just as good as I remember. I will be in touch :D

47 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Really pleased that we are now in touch. When we meet, and we surely must, you should drive CBJ again.

Nigel

Be careful Nigel ......do you really want to bring a former partner back into your car's life ?

CBJ still may have  feelings for Richard !!!!

6 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Be careful Nigel ......do you really want to bring a former partner back into your car's life ?

CBJ still may have  feelings for Richard !!!!

I fitted a hidden mobile phone to CBJ just before I sold the car. We have been secretly texting each other for years :)

12 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

I fitted a hidden mobile phone to CBJ just before I sold the car. We have been secretly texting each other for years :)

Haha! There may or not be secretly texting with Richard, but CBJ always performs perfectly for me.

Nigel

On 1/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, Richard Green 54 said:

The Jaguar is a superb long distance tourer and we have been down to the south of France

Hi Richard

Welcome back to the register. You don't need a modern car to go to the south of France, 4 of us 2xTR5 & 2xTR6 went to Monaco and surrounding area a couple of years ago. Many on the register have been further. Remember nowhere's far in a TR.

Paul