Gearbox Rebuild

I am undertaking a rebuild of a TR4 gearbox including new main shorter shaft to accept an overdrive.

I have completed all the stripping and re-assembly of the lay shaft and main shaft, new main shaft, lay shaft all bearings, bushes and thrust washers measured and replaced as required. The gears are all in good condition as is the casing.

Upon re-assembly it all goes together into the casing the shafts seem to mate ok but they wont turn together. If installed separately they turn fine but as soon as I put them in together they just lock up. I can't help thinking I'm missing something simple and obvious but can see what. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation 

Phil

Phil, it's not clear if you're using a new layshaft or just re-bushed the original, if it's a new one, is it a matched gear set? I.e. there are two different types -16 teeth & 17 teeth versions which would stop them rotating if the wrong one

Sorry Phil, I commonly (& wrongly) refer to the lay shaft meaning the lay gear....must be an age thing! - I've built several boxes & overdrives in the last few years so happy to take a look in case it is something obvious...?

John,

Many thanks. I'll take you up on your offer please. I should be coming to North Devon the week after next on a week day. Can you let me know where you are. 

Email: phil.board@gmail.com 

Phil

Phil,

Can you select all the gears OK? Ensure the reverse gear is not engaged at the same time as any other gear.

If I remember correctly, it is possible to install the reverse gear the wrong way round which would lock the lay gears. 

Graeme

PhilExe - a word of advice: I suggest you edit your post to remove your email address as it's not a good idea to have it visible to everyone because there are always a few pests about. 

Better to use a PM (Personal Message) in future.

Ian Cornish