Choke MU mixture lever

Hi, I finally got to the bottom of the TR6 ‘curse’ of bad starting on my ‘6’, the Throttle Bodies and Distributor needed refurbishment, fitted a new  Petronix ignition and coil. When bad starting still continued I looked at the Choke cables and found the MU mixer cable while still connected had concertinaed  within the choke barrel, I put this down to the choke knob being rotated over the years, there was still movement in the inner cable but insufficient to move the MU mixture sufficient.

I’ve soldered new inner cables and the engine now starts first or second turn of the key. 

But, now I’m ensure how far the  MU mixer lever should move under full choke, can anyone please advise?

Thanks Phil

8ACE105C-85C8-428A-9E2A-9EBAFD4E1BA2_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi Phil,

the lever should be pushed fully home (to the right) by the cable if the choke and TB high idle cable are not in use (choke knob pushed fully in).
The ratio between air and additional fuel is done by the cam on the TB high idle. I followed the WSM for how to adjust both cables and this works ok. 

I have an AFR sensor and gage installed, it is nice to see the AFR changing if you change the amount of choke. 
Waldi

Phil. 

Keep an eye on the end of the cable as it may get caught on the battery box and not quite turn the mu off. I had to trim mine as it was getting caught.

Len

Edited by len1

I used to adjust mine to that with choke off there was just perceptible slack in the cable at the MU end (so you know when it's off it really is off).  Then adjust the fast idle cam to suit that.

Hi Steve,

I installed it in one of the 2 down pipes.

I bought the SS threaded bung from Mr. Ali (I got two for less than 10 euros including shipping), trial- fitted where it would fit, then removed the down-pipes, drilled the hole and welded with MIG with SS weld filler. It is important the sensor cannot fill with water /condensibles, so it is self draining. It is a sort of 1st step for conversion to EFI for me, but meanwhile I can benefit from the “feedback” how the engine is running.

I bought the Innovate MTXL-Plus AFR sensor kit which is including gage and cables between sensor and gage, which was recommended by Andreas (Triumph V8 on this forum).
https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/mtxl_plus.php

Regards,

Waldi