Ignition Switch Relay

I'm going through the electrics on my TR3a with a view to improving the wiring safety and reliability.

I already have relays for the headlights and electric cooling fan and will be adding another to the bank fired from the ignition switch and feeding an auxiliary fuse box for heater fan, windscreen washers aux power outlet etc.

The question is: should I run the HT coil feed from this circuit too?

It would make life easy because I could use the existing LT connection to energise the relay; it sits very close to the relay bank location on the nearside inner wing and runs in the existing loom straight back to the switch.

Andrew - I don't think you mean the HT (high tension) connection on the coil - that's receiving somewhere between 20kV to 30kV, and there would be arcing all over the place if you put a relay in there!

4VC has the LT (low tension, 12V) to its coil fed via a fuse, as that's the way that the Comps Dept wired the VC cars in 1962 - actually, it was a technician from Lucas who wired the cars to suit the requirements of the drivers & navigators.  Can be useful if one wants to isolate the ignition circuitry whilst investigating other area of the electrickery.

Ian Cornish