Carpet fitting

I have been given a nice Chrissy present from my wife, a new wool set of black carpets with underlay, from TRShop.

I have now started to fit them but are unsure of a couple of things and wondered what others had done, having never done this job before.

Along the curved sill panel there are some slots in the panel, some are covered with a piece of plastic like tape glued down, what could be used to clover a couple that are not covered?

The original fixing studs in the floor are all still in place, should I cut a hole in the underlay, at the appropriate place to allow the carpet to be clipped to the stud on the floor, so keeping the underlay in place under the carpet? or must I get the longer studs, which seem to be a silly price?

It would seem that I just have to make 4 holes in the carpet and the underlay to mount the seat rails, and tighten down the frame, is this good practice? I don't think I need to make the mat removable, by cutting slots?

Any help would be much appreciated please.

John

Hi John,

I cut a hole in the underfelt, maybe 40 mm diameter, where the carpet is clicked on the studs. I glued the underfelt to the carpet once I was happy with the fit. I avoided more than 2 layers in total at the edges. The front carpets have 4 studs, and the H-frame is bolted directly to the metal floor, no carpet or felt in between.

I did not glue the felt to the floors, so they could be removed for drying/cleaning.
There are several instructions on the www, Moss have one, but there are others. I did watch/read them all before I started and decided which method worked best for me.

Waldi

Hi John,

i recently fitted a carpet set to my TR4. Started at the back and worked forward with the floor carpets being fitted last. I was very happy with the overall fit in the end. Mine was a Moss loop pile set very close to the original grey for the car (LHD from US which was then modified to RHD with another heal mat).  I fitted sound deadening sheets (mass loaded vinyl) beneath and waterproof foam carpet underlay before the carpet was fitted into place. I didn't want to use the felt as it can soak up moisture. The sound deadening has transformed the car. My day job is an acoustic engineer.

I had to lengthen the studs for the carpet fixing. Used a longer screw and a spacer to lift it off the floor pan. The seat runners were bolted down directly. No need for any other fastenings. Again I used slightly longer bolts in this case and a spacer so the runners didn't crush the carpet and underlay and could move too. The tricky one for me was the gearbox cover. I ended up taking it out and making some access holes/hatches for overdrive etc. I then fitted foam overlay which was moulded to the tunnel shape and glued down. The carpet was then trial fitted in the car and then taken out and glued down around the top leaving the bottom area loose so the cover could be fixed down and around the acces holes. Ended up with no creases or sagging on the carpet.

Take your time and do plenty of trial fits before committing. I made all my holes from the other side of the panels. Instead of randomly stabbing the carpet trying to find the holes. Plus wrap some tape around a drill bit if you do decide to drill through the carpet otherwise you will wrap the pile around the bit and have a real mess. Ended up using a scalpel to cut the holes.

For the sill I didn't fit any underfelt as I wanted a close fit in those areas, but I did fill the small voids with sound deadening to make them flush. I also made sure the wiring loom was taped flat too against the edge of the sill. 

Happy to share more pictures if you like. Carpet set was a Christmas present to myself and fitted over the holiday.

cheers Darran

image2.PNG

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:48 PM, Darranh said:

Plus wrap some tape around a drill bit if you do decide to drill through the carpet otherwise you will wrap the pile around the bit and have a real mess. Ended up using a scalpel to cut the holes

I used a heated nail to burn through the carpet to make holes. Could also use a soldering iron with an old tip

Thank you everybody so far good detail, made a start, one more question, does the dip switch on the bulkhead be fitted on top of the carpet, or do I need to cut a hole for it to pass thru?

Have borrowed a super hole punch set, with up to 40mm holes.

John

John, I have a lhd car, but made cuts in the carpet to the switch bracket could be properly bolted to the bulk head.

Waldi

9 hours ago, John L said:

does the dip switch on the bulkhead be fitted on top of the carpet, or do I need to cut a hole for it to pass thru?

John

8 hours ago, Waldi said:

John, I have a lhd car, but made cuts in the carpet to the switch bracket could be properly bolted to the bulk head.

Waldi

The LHD cars have a dip switch mounted on a separate bracket. The RHD cars dip switch is fixed with 2 No 3/16"unf screws directly into the bulkhead. I would have to check mine but I think it is mounted ON the carpet with the screws through the carpet.

Dave McD

On top of the carpet for right hand drive cars, try not to pull any of the carpet into the holes as you really dont want to strip the threads on the bulkhead captives when the screws jam. Left hand drive the bracket was again mounted on top of the carpet originally

Stuart.