I am about to try to refurbish the grille on my 5. The aluminium elements will clean up well but the matt/satin black paint needs respraying. Can somebody advise me as to whether this can be a rattle can job and if so what primer would be the best to use. Being aluminium am I wasting my time trying a DIY solution and would a pro soluton be better?

Any views gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Tim

If you Scotch the relevant part of the bars (careful masking of the rest is required) then rattle can will work fine.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Etch primer plus satin black?

Tim

I'm more curious about the non-painted, anodized areas. To duplicated the original this would have to be sanded, re-sanded finer, re-sanded finer yet,  polished to a mirror finish then sent out for bright-dip anodizing. Should entail about the cost of buying a top notch reproduction if time is valued at nothing.

A reasonable facsimile would be to sand and polish per above, and then clear-coat with a reputable brand like Eastwood Diamond Clear Gloss.

Tom

I did mine by masking the silver bits - needs patience and care - although any missed bits are easy to removed if you don't leave it too long before removing the masking tape. I just went over the black with some 800 grit paper and sprayed with tough black satin paint without primer (it says it doesn't need primer) I polished a few places with damage to the silver with Autosol and it looks like new. I have no doubt I'll have to re-polish the silver from time to time, but you would hardly notice the parts with the anodise missing. Regards Mike.