Hi guys, a bit of advise required please,

just checked the end float on the crank with new standard thrusts and I have 8 thou (0.20mm) checked with a dial gauge. Workshop manual (Haynes) says between 4 and 6 thou is OK., so obviously a little too slack as it stands.

Replacement sets come only in +5 or +10 but I am unclear whether that is the total for the set of 4 (ie 2.5thou per side) or whether all 4 in the set are 5 thou thicker.

Would you leave them as they are, or use a +5 set which reduces the end float to 3thou, or ideally if the thrusts are 2.5 thicker in the set use standard one side and +2.5 on the other to give 5.5thou end float.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would add just one thicker thrust pad, to reduce your clearance to 0.10-0.15 mm (4-6 thou). It will increase A bit once the new pads are bedded in.

If you leave as is (0.20 mm), you may end up with too much clearance soon.

A std engine has just 2 pads, one each side of the bearing. If yours has 4, it has been modified.

Also make sure you are installing the pads with the bearing side (not the steel carrier) to the crank shaft boss. 

Waldi

Thank you Waldi for the quick reply,

the engine is from a TR4, and I have just checked the parts book and it shows 4 half circle thrust bearings, 2 with locating tangs and 2 without sold as a set, so I am assuming that +5 thou of an inch must be the total for the set, in which case I can use half a standard set on one side and half an oversize set on the other (clutch side perhaps) which will bring the float down without going too small.

Aha, thought it was for a TR6, which has 2 half pads only as std. 
That’s what I would do too. Put the bearing pads with the thickest layer of bearing on the side that takes the clutch force.

Waldi