This is probably a silly question. I have just had my seats returned and I will have to make a decision as to whether I retain my cloth covered MX5 ones or use these ( I think they are actually for a 4A though my car is a 4).

I don't know which is the driver's and which the passenger's as they are obviously 'handed". Can anyone advise before I bolt them in situ please?

BTW they seem very comfy since they've been re-covered and re-stuffed

Andy

VIQ4CMsTTtOYpcxLu1M%LA_thumb_aff7.jpg

The orientation should be swapped over from that in your picture.

the ‘shaved’ edges sit toward the outside-edge of the car.

....... Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyR100 said:

The orientation should be swapped over from that in your picture.

the ‘shaved’ edges sit toward the outside-edge of the car.

....... Andy 

That answer's one question. Thanks

40 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

fit the 4A seats and bin the MX5 seats. I have driven 100,000's miles with mine and think they are very good.

Roger

And that probably answers the other! Thanks

11 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

Another question. The seat base mechanisms are currently’rattle can’ silver. Should they be black?

Nope silver is correct.

Stuart.

• 3 months later...

If you’re looking for options that keep the original seats, have a look at my attempt to kill two birds with one stone (three if you include the high-level brake lights, though these will need replacing as they are, well.... shite) 

41E101D5-EDB0-48C7-B610-8A2790C02FE4.jpeg

747717B2-9F44-4202-8290-DB93836A0521.jpeg

81D6DDE5-204B-46DD-BC30-9C166B50D9B3.jpeg

3A4FB9DE-2CB8-457C-A1A6-F2AE5D46A7F5.jpeg

FB82AF7F-A4B7-4A17-8B83-009983C968AE.jpeg

The advantages of MX5 seats are many. They are comfortable, they have head restraints, they have adjustable back rests and they hold you better when cornering. If you get the Mk 1 seats, you can have speakers in the headrests. If you really want to listen to the radio in a TR, having the speakers as close as possible to your ears is a Good Thing. We have done many long journeys in the 4A (8400km to Perth and back last October) and had no issues with comfort. The other advantage of the adjustable back rests is ease of loading luggage into the back of the car without getting a hernia! I still have the retrimmed original seats stored in the garage.

I fitted MX5 seats in my car because I wanted head rests. An incident happened many years ago where a friend of a friend was out driving his ‘62 Mini. He was stopped at a traffic light and hit from behind. Not hard enough to damage the Mini badly, but hard enough to snap his neck. Here in the States where nearly every car is an SUV or a Pick-up, safety is paramount. BTW I also fitted three point belts and a roll bar, but I guess I’m a “belts and braces” kind of guy.

Jim