Steering wheel hub boss

Seeking a small diameter hub boss.   My TR2 steering column has a splined end that the steering wheel hub fits onto.  Do later TR models like TR4, TR5 have the same splined end of the steering column?   I need to buy an aftermarket hub boss that fits those splines, in order to fit a restored specialty steering wheel for my Doretti (using same TR2 column).  But I don’t want to use the large diameter boss that is available from Moss to fit a Moto-Lita wheel to a sidescreen TR - because I have a smaller wheel center that is more like TR4.  Wheel is pictured.  So if I buy an aftermarket TR4 hub boss, might the splines fit my TR2 style Doretti column?

Dan

ACC3862B-24F6-4589-A0D4-B5D081B083EC.png

Suggest you take your wheel to the MG & Triumph Spares Show on February 9th at Stoneleigh - you might find what you are seeking.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
Additional info

Daimler Dart has same column as TR 2/3. Horn push is smaller than TR.

is the AH 100/3000 same spline as TR?  That car uses similar steering column.  Also uses small horn push same size as Dart.

These are leads rather than solutions Dan, but may find a solution.  ie. Motolita boss from a Healey or Dart for your wheel.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

This project is harder than it looks for me, as finding a period boss with the right splines is going to be tough, and the only cross-application I have so far is Daimler Dart (anyone know which years Daimler used the TR2/3 column?).  There are adapters that are designed to mate up specialty wheels to aftermarket hub bosses  (like this https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/accessories/momo-or-nardi-adaptor/?filters=536), but I can't get my head around how the adapter will affect the look because of the 'sandwich' between hub and wheel, nor am I confident I could even use something like this with the existing wheel center on my restored wheel.  Can anyone with engineering aptitude help me with a viable plan?  I think I may have to work out an auxiliary turn indicator as well.  I am getting worried this nice wheel (restored by a friend for me) will have to end up as wall art!

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

I can provide you with a Formula Boss – period manufactured cast alloy with the 36 No. splines as required for a TR.

The difficultly will be modifying your wheel – an accurate square hole would have to be cut at the centre of the hub and three small holes drilled around it for location screws.

The Formula wheels have a Duralium frame which is 1/8” in thickness which allows the projection of the square end of the Boss to project through and sit flush with the top of the wheel ready for bolting in place.

Visually your wheel appears to have at least two thicknesses of metal at its hub, what is its actual overall thickness..?

All Formula wheels were finished top and bottom with black injection moulded shrouds which were all “Model specific” and I do not have these for a TR2.

I do have shrouds for TR4, 2000, Stag, MGB, Mini, Anglia, Volvo PV 544, Hillman Hunter and could check amongst these for a match or near match, but would need many dimensions for the comparison.

Another route might be to try a Les Leston accessory Boss kit, however they are not easy to find and can be expensive, however again I think you find problems in trying to combine your wheel with an LL.

What is the name of the manufacturer of your wheel..? if known I think I would start with them.

If you send me a P.M. with an e-mail I can send you photos showing the make-up of a Formula steering wheel as it is a good system and far neater than the likes of Motolita.

Regards, Richard

Thanks very much Richard.  Maker is a defunct specialty shop (Cal Sales) connected with development and marketing of the Doretti.  I do have a boss by the same maker, but it is a keyway system (MG) instead of splines as shown.  It would be great to use this boss by machining in splines, if possible, but it is a safety item and shops here aren’t great and are super expensive.  One of you bosses may be the answer.   I will measure thickness.

Dan

PS  I had to use a screen shot to keep the file size within the limits, so ignore the peripheral junk.

372497D9-4BF6-4F8C-9C59-61C10056FD2E.png

Edited by 2long

Here's a wheel like yours, Dan.  There can't be too many of these out there!  For those who can't see the detail in Dan's original image, note the nifty DORETTI stamp Cal-Sales used on these.  (In this context, the name referred to more than the car; it was sort of a house brand for Dorothy Deen.)

i-KQGL3Qj-X5.jpg

i-jZHGsV4-X5.jpg

i-PHZcDpD-X5.jpg

Edited by Don H.
  • 10 months later...

Hi Johnny,

I think you will find that the previous owner has actually run a tap through the hole in order to make a thread.

This is a very unusual modification and it has made it unusable on a splined shaft - totally unsafe. 

I do have some spare Boss hubs, depending on the number of splines that you require.

Regards, Richard 

Hi Richard 

It isn’t a spiral, it is knurled so parallel grooves. A friend has suggested that it would be an interference fit and that he has seen this style of knurled boss on 60’s British sports wheels but can’t remember which? The number of top to bottom groves is 36 and it measures 5/8 inch. Just keen to identify it.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I tend to agree with Richard's view on what has been done to it.

Happy to be proved wrong. can you post a photo from a different angle ?

Bob.

That was my initial thought as well, when I got it as I’ve never see a knurled boss, all the formula/speedwell wheels I’ve had have had splined bosses. It’s difficult to take pics of it but it’s definitely not tapped, as the horizontal groves are singular and parallel with the same gapping as the vertical. My friend, whose dad was heavily involved in rallying in the 60’s in Sweden said he has seen this style of boss before.Could it be that it was designed not to be removed? That could explain the marks on the top of the boss? 

Hi Johnny,

The only reason that I can think of for horizontal grooves is to produce a burr edge to the faces of the splines to induce a sort of interference fit.

However in my opinion it is a bodge and all it has down is to weaken the joint. 

The marks on the top are purely down to mis-use as the four faces of the nut have to be perfectly square in both directions in order to locate the matching hole in the centre of the steering wheel, sorry but it is only fit for the bin.

Triumph did use the 36 No. splined hubs.

Regards, Richard