Fuel cut off switch

Hi Geoff ~

I fitted my fuel pump cut-off switch under the dash near the steering column on my 3A.

This allows me to 'knock-off' the switch when I park the car for extra security.

In this position it's easier to re-set the switch if it operates under driving conditions.

Tom.

I used this style. Land Rover I think

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F184103217543

But I think Toms idea of having it to hand to reset whilst driving is a good idea. 
that I think I’ll do. 

CAA2CE62-8EFE-4C8B-85BB-30746984DFB3.jpeg

I have that same rover switch, installed in original location.

no issues in 2 or 3 years

steve

On 1/13/2020 at 11:45 AM, Fireman049 said:

Hi Geoff ~

I fitted my fuel pump cut-off switch under the dash near the steering column on my 3A.

This allows me to 'knock-off' the switch when I park the car for extra security.

In this position it's easier to re-set the switch if it operates under driving conditions.

Tom.

+1

Here's mine under the dash, attached to the back of the brake / clutch cylinder inset.

Miles

IMG_7474 (1).jpg

Just a ball bearing sat in a cup that completes the connection & gets knocked out with an impact, just press the red top cover to reset, as far as I'm aware it's orientaion in terms of front/back would make no difference to how it works....

Me too.   There is a second version with three wires, that will light a lamp on the dash to tell you thatit has triggered.

Useful if the "engine failure" you have just suffered is only due to mounting a kerb.  Won't happen parking but might at speed!

JOhn

Yes John, the version I have has the third connection between the two wires shown in the photo to wire a lamp.

Before I installed mine I did some research (because I am not very good with electrickery) which suggested that the two wires were specifically positive and negative. From recollection there was nothing so simply as + or - stamped next to each wire but a letter code. May be relevant if you get one of these. 

Miles

I can't recall how mine is wired.   I worked out which was which on the bench, with a couple of lamps, knocking it against the bench until one went out and the other lit.   If anyone wants, I can go and write it down!

If you get one, if at all possible get the connector to the loom as well, with the wires cut off long.     The pins in the switch are not ordinary spade connectors, and it's much easier to wire it in this way.

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

A friend of mine recently got a tracker for his car ( a very common low cost item - model TK103).

Apart from using it to locate the car it has many other functions available, one being an “SOS button”.

The 3 wire inertia switch would be an ideal “Sensor” to replace the button.

What happens is that if the inertia switch is activated a text message is sent to a mobile phone (as specified by the user) with the message “Help Me !” and a link to google maps with the location of the car.

Possibly a life saver if you end up in a ditch on a remote country road. The message is repeated every 3 mins. until the driver resets the tracker.

Charlie.

Keep the old switch in its standard position (but not connected, just dummy wires) for looks/originality and install the new switch & relay hidden away somewhere.

Cheers, Richard