Roger hope you feel better

get well soon Roger.

still trying to look after others tho :D 

posted here as not all of Rogers friends have access to Alex’s inn

Thanks Hamish.

Whatever this bug is it appears that everybody is coming down with it. 

It is not a cold, although the nose gives in after a few days.

Not really a sore throat but that gets annoyed after coughing so much.

If you have asthma or a dodgy chest then go straight to the doc's as it will get you.

Thankfully the Amoxicillin still works plus the prednisalon

I've been into the garage this morning the fresh air was lovely.

Roger

Roger,

My sympathy, as I share your symptoms!   I attribute my infection to visiting the Tribe over Xmas/NY - two families, four grandkids - and being infected with bugs from two cities different to mine.    Just getting over it now! My sister had the same problem and now swears by "Eschecaria" extract - but that's the E in E.Coli, the bowel bug, so that can't be right.  I'll ask agsin !

Edited by john.r.davies

“Echinacea.” Purple cone flowers. As in The Cone Heads   :0). :0)

hope you will soon be well too John.

Sue ( from upstairs in bed also suffering.) I blame Roger 

Edited by SuzanneH

I take lots of vitamin D3, for reasons other than colds. Not on NHS list because no-one has shelled out millions for a clinical trial that NICE accepts. All I get is a runny nose, no aches or pains, when all around are popping paracetamol. Have not had any bug for three winters now.

Peter

Get well all soon nothing worse than feeling grotty. 

Mega dose of Vit C via 4 oranges/day works well for me.

Ah, that was Linus Pauling.    Brilliant chemist, Nobel prize winner (Twice!  For Chemistry and Peace), and advocate of VitC as a cure-all.  It's a strange mixture! 

Himself took 3gms VitC a day (you need less than 100milligrams) to prevent colds, and believed that megadoses could also relieve heart disease, brain injury in children and even cancer.   His eminence led to large trials of VitC in cancer, all of which were negative.

Luckily (for us and PeterC) megadoses of VitC are not toxic - you just pee it out! - so no harm done, except to some blameless  coal tar feedstock.

JOhn

43 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Ah, that was Linus Pauling.    Brilliant chemist, Nobel prize winner (Twice!  For Chemistry and Peace), and advocate of VitC as a cure-all.  It's a strange mixture! 

Himself took 3gms VitC a day (you need less than 100milligrams) to prevent colds, and believed that megadoses could also relieve heart disease, brain injury in children and even cancer.   His eminence led to large trials of VitC in cancer, all of which were negative.

Luckily (for us and PeterC) megadoses of VitC are not toxic - you just pee it out! - so no harm done, except to some blameless  coal tar feedstock.

JOhn

@ALL,

I use vitamin D3 at high dose. NOT vitamin C.  

Vitamin  C at modest dose in an anti-oxidant. But if ingested together with haem-iron it allows very fast iron uptake from the gut. And excess iron can  generate extremely reactive and dangerous hydroxyl radicals via the Fenton reaction. HIgh dose C may well have shortened Paulings life. Pity, I used to enjoy black pudding with orange juice

Peter

Here's an unusual Kiwi cure for the sniffles, some might say other wordly. #153, July 12 th

http://www.ignaciodarnaude.com/avistamientos_ovnis/Humanoid sighting reports in 1975,Albert Rosales.htm

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said:

@ALL,

I use vitamin D3 at high dose. NOT vitamin C.  

Vitamin  C at modest dose in an anti-oxidant. But if ingested together with haem-iron it allows very fast iron uptake from the gut. And excess iron can  generate extremely reactive and dangerous hydroxyl radicals via the Fenton reaction. HIgh dose C may well have shortened Paulings life. Pity, I used to enjoy black pudding with orange juice

Peter

Pauling was NINETY THREE when he died!

But apologies for taking your name in vain!

John

6 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Pauling was NINETY THREE when he died!

But apologies for taking your name in vain!

John

John, No apologies needed !  Prostate cancer killed him, and there is some evidnece for iron overload in that.

I am careful with iron in diet and never supplement it as vitD3 also increases gut uptake.  Iron is nasty stuff in excess.

My high D3 dose is carefully guesstimated and I take vitamin K2Mk4+Mk7 to direct the extra gut calcium uptake to bones and teeth, away from soft tissues.

Slides 15 -17 show D3 helps avoid winter 'flu:  https://u3asites.org.uk/files/b/berwyn/docs/vitamind3deficiency.pdf

Peter

Peter

Yes, what a dull place this is without you!

(no offence to any of the other great people on this treasure cave).

Cheers,

Waldi

Sue and Roger. Hope you recover soon. Your Register needs you!

Following Peter's advice some years ago I take high dose vitamin D and I have a flu jab every winter. I think I benefit from both but alas some infections will get through. 

Miles