Lock barrel orientation

I’m installing a new set of locks, but they can be installed in 2 ways, 180 degrees apart. What is the correct way for installing the door- and boot lock? And is there a reason for this?

As an example, is orientation in attached pic correct?

Thanks,

Waldi

642EF5DB-604B-4F49-9AE2-0C2B1A11FA4B.jpeg

Thanks Kevin.

Ed,
that is a good point. I looked in the WSM, the barrel in the glove box lid is indeed shown like that.

But the boot lid barrel is not “self draining” (well it is, but into the boot:) )

Anyone who knows the right orientation?

Thanks,

Waldi

11C8725A-7C42-420E-A435-6F323C19D0F3.jpeg

A3708D95-77DB-4823-9FDE-36D86BDFC7F2.jpeg

Edited by Waldi
added pics from WSM
On 1/11/2020 at 3:38 PM, Waldi said:

Thanks Kevin.

Ed,
that is a good point. I looked in the WSM, the barrel in the glove box lid is indeed shown like that.

But the boot lid barrel is not “self draining” (well it is, but into the boot:) )

Anyone who knows the right orientation?

Thanks,

Waldi

11C8725A-7C42-420E-A435-6F323C19D0F3.jpeg

A3708D95-77DB-4823-9FDE-36D86BDFC7F2.jpeg

Hi Waldi, I doubt very much that there would by any significant difference in water draining out the other way around. If there is water penetration into the keyway profile plug it would wash down the wafers (sliders) as they are cut through both sides and then go into the cylinder barrel and then drip through the back.

As a norm most locks but not all have the cylinder profile with the cuts of the key facing up for entry into the profile, the cubby lock you show from the WSM could of been shown with the profile in the locked position.

Just sharing my 46years of knowledge as a Master Locksmith/Safe Engineer.

Hope this makes some sort of sense but basically it’s what ever you prefer aesthetically.

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi Kevin,

46 years of experience can’t be beaten! With the combined experience on this forum, we could handle most technical queries, and probably a couple of others too.

Regards,

Waldi

10 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Kevin,

46 years of experience can’t be beaten! With the combined experience on this forum, we could handle most technical queries, and probably a couple of others too.

Regards,

Waldi

Exactly Waldi, this forum is priceless.