Main bearing cap.

Can anyone help please. I bought a TR in May and have been working on it ever since! I have a broken main bearing cap and would like to try a second hand replacement, does anyone out there have a knackered block that the wouldn't mind taking a cap off? Thanks, Mike.

4 minutes ago, Mike 5 fan said:

Can anyone help please. I bought a TR in May and have been working on it ever since! I have a broken main bearing cap and would like to try a second hand replacement, does anyone out there have a knackered block that the wouldn't mind taking a cap off? Thanks, Mike.

Err...Might help Mike if you told the forum WHICH cap you need, I know it will need work whichever but I should always go for the most alike cap in positioning because they sometimes have different profiles on various engines.

Mick Richards

PS: How broken is it ? depending but they can sometimes be "reworked" to retrieve it.

14 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Sorry I don't have a spare but might I direct you to < this >  which talks of their being matched to the block when it was originally line bored.

Quite correct Pete but depending upon which dimensions are adrift on the replacement mains cap and it being wide enough to still register and locate in the block it may be able for it to be fitted and the block again align bored to make it again correct and usable.

Mick Richards

Mike,

sorry I can’t help you with a bearing cap, but be aware you will have to machine the cap and bore otherwise your bearing shells will not be properly aligned with the crank shaft journal.

Waldi

Hi Mike,

you have set yourself a rather daunting challenge.  Why not contact somebody like TRBitz, Revington or TRGB. They have piles of stuff.

Or - repair the broken one as good as possible to give you the correct shape and consider getting a new one manufactured - that could also be a challenge.

Roger

i wish you good luck.Above advice re line boring correct.

if no luck try those who build competition engines as they replace the standard with steel caps.

Roy

I needed one for my rebuild due to knackered crankshaft. Gerry at Enginuity in London came up trumps with a replacement longback crank and bearing cap.

Tim

Hello All and thanks for the replies. It's bearing number 3 and the last ½ inch has broken off. This would be held in place when bolted up but I would like a better solution. Enginuity say they may have one so I'm going to talk to Gerry when he's in on Monday.

Thanks Jerry but Enginuity are sending me one, thank goodness. Thanks to all for comments and advice given. Regards Mike.

23 minutes ago, Mike 5 fan said:

Thanks Jerry but Enginuity are sending me one, thank goodness. Thanks to all for comments and advice given. Regards Mike.

That's good news Mike but as posted by myself and others you can't just bolt it in and use it.

The outer bearing cap dimension may need altering to allow it to "nip" in to the dimension of the block locations (it should not be just a drop in) and then the cap needs checking to confirm it will present the bearing in line with the others so the crank is supported neither being "nipped" nor pushed the crank out of line. As pointed out it is likely to need align boring to ensure the crank runs true and without stresses.

Mick Richards 

Thanks Mick, rest is sorted, just needed the end cap which I have, thanks to Enginuity. I'd tried everyone you could think of to no avail, so very relieved. Thanks again to all for your input. Regards Mike.