TR6 Passenger Door Lock

Hi there, my passenger door lock gasket seal to the door has perished and fallen out. This leaves a gap of approx 1.0 to 1.5 mm of gap to the door from the lock barrel, and also now rotates ± 15° from the vertical position. See photo with spacers between the door and the back of the lock barrel.

I dont want water dripping down inside the door between the gap, so is there an easy solution without taking/stripping down the whole door with "lots of agro"?

Also does the inner chrome ring tighten up clockwise  to close the gap, or indeed rotate anticlockwise to come off the key chrome ring to remove the barrel completely from outside?

Appreciate any help or suggestions, Colin.

TR6 Passanger Door Lock.JPG

Hi Colin, there are sets available that fix the barrel with a clamping plate. Most suppliers sell these. These avoid the rotation. You will need to remove the door panels for access.

https://mossmotors.com/door-lock-fitting-kit

Waldi

Edit: NO, there is no nut, at least not on mine. Mine are originally fixed with a spring clip thing (not a nut). But I will use the plates Stuart shows in below post.

Edited by Waldi
There is no nut.

I might be wrong, but from memory I don't think there is a threaded lock ring. The lock is held in place by a clip that snaps in place. If the gasket isn't available, it should be possible to cut one from gasket material. I think Waldi's link to the Moss retainer is a good solution. Being cheap and retired, I made a copy, but haven't installed it yet.

Berry

Edited by dingle
edit
15 hours ago, dingle said:

I might be wrong, but from memory I don't think there is a threaded lock ring. The lock is held in place by a clip that snaps in place.

Berry

Hi Berry,

you are correct, there is no nut (I’m the only nut).

I corrected my earlier post above.

Thanks,

Waldi

Hi Berry,

you’re welcome.

About my cars: I just own the TR6 (the 2nd one) but have owned and restored all these cars in the last (almost) 4 decades.

My first “old car” was a 1969 MGB-GT, it was only 12 years old when I bought it, and I “fixed it”, it was my daily driver, but even at 12 years old it was considered an oldtimer!

Next came the Spider, etc:)

I have always been more of a tinkerer than a driver, and after a couple of years I want to start a new project, so have to sell the previous one.

Cheers,

Waldi