Mota-Lita s/wheel & horn push...

Good evening, fellow TR6ers, hope you're all well tonight.

I have a Mota-Lita steering wheel (& boss, of course!) for TRoy, my 1970 TR6pi. This is very nice, but I've had to revert to a standard TR steering wheel, as the contact 'pencil'  keeps pushing the horn-push off the wheel (more so since I fitted a new steering rack & column coupling, last October). 

I had this problem  a few years ago, & solved it by filing some metal off the offending 'pencil', but I'm concerned about taking too much material off, & it losing it's 'conductivity' (if that's the right word); The 'pencils' are fairly expensive for what they are. 

Has any body else experienced this problem? Am I on the right track, or is there a more 'professional'  solution to this (mildly) irritating problem?

As ever, your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, & Best wishes for 2020,

Paul.

Having been given a Mota- Lita  l wheel as a birthday present and pleased as i was to receive it, the horn would sound when making a sharp turn to the right...caused some funny looks. When the car was with Enginuity in Acton for some work they cured the problem by taking a slither off the boss in a lathe..apparently its a common problem.

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Having been given a Mota- Lita  l wheel as a birthday present and pleased as i was to receive it, the horn would sound when making a sharp turn to the right...caused some funny looks. When the car was with Enginuity in Acton for some work they cured the problem by taking a slither off the boss in a lathe..apparently its a common problem.

Phil

Hi Paul I had the same problem when I fitted a new rack I cured it by slackening the clamp at the bulk head pushed the rack back up couple of mm  cured it

3 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Phil

Mine did the same, the aluminum centre boss protrudes too close to the fixed brass ring. 

Great, thanks Daz, Roger, Mike, Roy, & Phil; your advice is much appreciated; I'll let you know how I get on!

Enjoy the weekend,

Cheers,

Paul.

hi Paul,

I got round the same problem by fitting a thin washer under one of the boss retaining bolt heads which overlaps the horn enough to retain it. After trimming the washer to fit the boss profile, and applying a little black paint, its not really noticeable unless you know its there.

Mike.

TR 1.jpg

TR2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Not wishing to hjack this thread, but it's too close to my own question to warrant a separate one I think - I too have a MotaLita wheel. The horn  push has no 'spring' whatsoever left in it - zero, zilch, nada - it just flops around. Is it possible to open them up to check the innards by removing the spring washers from the plastic locating pins? Also at some stage in its life has overheated (!).  Having seen this thread and the associated issues, would you replaced with MotaLita or Tourist Trophy (Moss)?

Also, the wiring currently runs down the column on its own - so tight it barely can be pulled up or down. If wired correctly should it run inside the outer sheath for the wiring for lights or the wipers?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

20200531_083414.thumb.jpg.b0b78f7ee04141989a9d84d3f1201740.jpg

20200531_083403.thumb.jpg.5658fde5c82e55a0241e0339deddd83f.jpg

2 hours ago, TRbeginner said:

Hi Aarhus TR6

Please can you explain what you mean by a push rod? It is the spring effect in the hornpush stelf that is non existent, not the brass 'pencil'.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Its a brass spring thing . . !!!   Does that make sense??

Rich