TR5 Pedestal end thrust plug seal

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

I have noticed a slight weep of oil from the pedestal driving gear end thrust plug (Moss 105) and suspect that the "O" ring seal needs replacing (Moss 106). I note that there is a retaining screw but if I remove this is it possible to remove the thrust plug without dismantling the pedestal? There doesn't seem to be anything to grip to pull the plug out.

You thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. I was trying not to disturb the set up too much as I understand that there is a risk of messing up the timing of the metering unit. Is this so or is it straight forward?

Dennis,

if you are lucky you can get the plug out, then leve the pedestal. Worth trying for 1/2 hr or so with 2 small sharp bladed screw drivers.

If you have no luck, you have to remove it, follow the WSM. Yes, that is more complex. You will need to check the timing, but also the axial clearance, which is adjusted by adding or removing thin gaskets from below the pedestal.

You can do a better job when you remove it. And follow Harry’s note above about the 2 viton lip seals. 
Waldi

Hi Waldi,

I have just read your suggestion but in actual fact earlier today I managed to remove the plug in the way you suggest with a Stanley Knife blade. I was very careful not to scratch any of the surfaces and I now have a new seal on order from Moss. The old seal is rock hard and it looks as if a previous owner had tried to improve the sealing by using silicone sealant! Hopefully, when I receive the new seal all will be well. Many thanks to you and Harry. 

Good news Dennis.

Carefully clean the bore and plug so all debris and old sealant is removed. Then install the new O-ring with some grease and carefully push in the plug, taking care not to damage the new O-ring.

Waldi

Hi Waldi, thanks for your reply. The new "O" ring arrived this morning so I cleaned everything up and used a little engine oil to lubricate the seal. It all went together well and I'll check if it has worked on my next run out. The old seal was very hard and had taken a set so I'm hopeful that it is now fixed.

Thanks again,

Denis