BMW fan for TR 4 cylinders

Hi,

first 2000 km driven his year (71°C summer thermostat) and the shroud seems to give me some benefit.

Sadly I cannot switch the shroud on / off but I got the impression it drops the temperature about 10 Kelvin.

Last Thursday was sunny all day  I stucked in bad after work traffic with ideling and stop and go at about 29-30°C, coolant was never hotter than 90°C.

Normal touring and sportive driving this weekend at the Black Forest temp. was mostly below 80°C.

I still hope for 35°C and a Stau at the Autobahn, two years ago in this situation the coolant temp was up to 110 deg C.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
  • 1 month later...

Well,

summer passed by,

some weeks ago we had a very hot weekend at the Pfälzer Wald

with some slow traffic and stop and go too.

Coolant was always below 90 deg C, the shroud works well.

Ciao, Marco

On 11 April 2020 at 10:00 PM, Z320 said:

Hi,

last thing was the shroud, I fitted it today.

Is experementel and look like a §$&%!! spring form pan for baking cakes?

P1150875-b.thumb.JPG.9af9de045a47844812d8835d21777719.JPG 

P1150878-b.JPG.fe68fc897b9259db349e70c0f28339a8.JPG

It will be difficult to come to a objectiv rating about a benefit or not.

My referenz is a situation 2 years ago:  summer, 35°C, full sun in the afternoon, 1 h Stau driving for 25 km, coolant was 110°C hot - but everything was OK.

Will there be any situation like this on 2020? Not the heat - my at the autobahn driving anywhere?

Ciao, Marco

Did you tape a spare fan belt to the front of the engine.?   Fitting one could be a knuckle scrape as you attempt to squeeze it between the fan blade tips and the cake tin.

Still looks purposeful and the extension does not touch the steering rack when the engine mounts sag.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter,

I use a toothed Flennor 20X900 and do not worry about a failure, so I taped no spare belt on the engine.

And if it will be the case the shroud is to unbolt in a few minutes.

The extension is slim enouht to get the typ 20 belt through extension and steering rack without any problems.

Ciao, Marco

On 8/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, Z320 said:

Well, summer passed by, some weeks ago we had a very hot weekend at the Pfälzer Wald with some slow traffic and stop and go too.

Coolant was always below 90 deg C, the shroud works well.

Ciao, Marco

Nice one Marco.. B)

p.s. would you mind popping back in Time ..to now try the BMW fan but without the shroud through this same summer.  I would be very interested to learn of the difference in effectiveness with and without the shroud.  Two summers previously did you have the BMW fan on ?

Edited by Bfg
On 8/30/2020 at 11:45 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Did you tape a spare fan belt to the front of the engine.?   Fitting one could be a knuckle scrape as you attempt to squeeze it between the fan blade tips and the cake tin.

Still looks purposeful and the extension does not touch the steering rack when the engine mounts sag.

Valid points Peter, I'll have to remember these when I come to fit my (turned aluminium) extension and fan belt to see if I'll have issues.  I'm hoping because I've also converted to the narrow fan belt - I might get away with being able to squeeze a replacement through. 

Cheers,  Pete.

Hi Pete,

this BMW fan is was very popular for the TR 4 cylinder at Germany, so the previous owner fitted it on my TR4A, it's there since I own the car (since 2009).

I thought it would be a nice idea to fit the original one, got it as a present from a friend, but I switched the BMW fan back at once.

The situation 2 years ago with coolant temperature up to 110°C was with BMW fan and without shroud

(without any problem, no water out to the overflow bottle because I drive with enough air in the system).

Situation this year was not so extreme but nearly, temp. max 90°C. Perhaps I can tell you more next year.

But because I have not temperature problems at all I don't see any need for much experiments about that.

Ciao, Marco