I was looking through some of my dads racing records from the 1950’s and came across this copy of Autosport from April 1957. 
inside the front cover was this advert for the Triumph TR3.

thought I’d share.  

4C0155C9-0353-4D38-9858-F02DE7F72AE9.jpeg

6A7F3644-539B-4873-83DE-EEB59CBFBA2A.jpeg

Don't forget that in the 1950s a TR won the Mobil Economy Run with a consumption better than 70 miles per Imperial gallon. 

Driving an early TR and travelling at a fairly constant 50-60 mph, one could achieve truly excellent economy figures.

I can quite believe the figure achieved in this contest as my old TR2 (also with overdrive) returned 30mpg overall for 65,000 miles when driven whenever possible at 100mph - that was the 1960s, of course.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
Add overdrive info

Talking about fuel economy. Let us NEVER forget the introduction of the 70 mph speed limit brought in by a LABOUR government by 'yer Darlin' 'Arrold'.

This was floated in as a 'Safety Measure'. The truth was that we had conflict with the Middle East ~ again ~ and was meant to save fuel ~ nothing more!

For God's sake keep LABOUR out of anything as they couldn't manage a 'drinking party in a Brewery!! They can't even be elected!!!  Thank God :( :( :(

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049
11 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Talking about fuel economy. Let us NEVER forget the introduction of the 70 mph speed limit brought in by a LABOUR government by 'yer Darlin' 'Arrold'.

This was floated in as a 'Safety Measure'. The truth was that we had conflict with the Middle East ~ again ~ and was meant to save fuel ~ nothing more!

For God's sake keep LABOUR out of anything as they couldn't manage a 'drinking party in a Brewery!! They can't even be elected!!!  Thank God :( :( :(

Tom.

....Tom , Mr Wilson did wonders for the sales of "flasher macs" !!!

16 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Tom.

What was so upsetting in my honest opinion as mentioned above for someone to object to it?  Why does this person hide away from reality? Names please. 

The people of the UK cast their votes and that was that. Unless of course the Labour party want another election until they win (Dream On!).

Tom. 

17 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Tom.

You said it Tom, Words cannot express How useless they are.

2 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Thank you RoyM ~

I suppose you and I will be 'banned' or something for free speech ~ which obviously isn't welcome in this Club.  :( :( :(

Best regards ~

Tom. 

Tom, i wish you would stop with the 'they will ban me' posts in this new year....

You had someone dislike your post?? As far as i could see this was not down to a mod or admin but a general member...

Ourselves (mods) like to see your constructive and funny posts, as you know, it's only when we get notification of a 'close to the knuckle' posts from you and indeed many others!

I wish you a very happy new year and am looking forward to reading and enjoying many more posts from your good self :) 

Tom

Thank you for that Tom but some of the members are thin skinned individuals.  What in my post was offensive ~ answers here and now please.

I never, ever pinned the blame on the Moderators.

Criticising the failed Labour party under their useless 'Leader'??

I've seen items on this Forum by a particular member who uses foul swear language yet he doesn't get any complaints???

Is it anything to do with which part of the Country you live in???

As I was hospitalised over Christmas I was not in a position to cancel my membership which was renewed in early January.

Please concentrate your vigilance on those who use foul swear words.

Regards ~

Tom.

17 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Thank you for that Tom but some of the members are thin skinned individuals.  What in my post was offensive ~ answers here and now please.

I've seen items on this Forum by a particular member who uses foul swear language yet he doesn't get any complaints???

As I was hospitalised over Christmas I was not in a position to cancel my membership which was renewed in early January.

Regards ~

Tom.

I have no idea who thought something was offensive.......!

Looking at your post now, it has neutral feedback....

Regarding other members and complaints, you have no idea who any why get reported.

You are not singled out for it, thats for sure :)

Tom

Hi Tom,

I totally agree with your post and as this forum used to be about a fraternity of like minded individuals this is the reason I left and will never join the the Register again.

I rarely post these days as I see it any assistance I can give is there for those who choose to ask but I note there are far fewer of the "old boys" posting these days.

The club is the lesser for it and to an extent the club has changed for the worse I feel and I personally don't need it or want it. It seems that the ownership group has changed and the dirty fingernail faction are extinct and they grew up with the cars with a lot less disposable income.

It has never been more easy to own and run a TR with the spare parts available provided you have a flexible friend and a new cheque book. and a are prepared to accept poor quality, made to a price and short life expectancy.

Rod

54 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Tom,

I totally agree with your post and as this forum used to be about a fraternity of like minded individuals this is the reason I left and will never join the the Register again.

I rarely post these days as I see it any assistance I can give is there for those who choose to ask but I note there are far fewer of the "old boys" posting these days.

The club is the lesser for it and to an extent the club has changed for the worse I feel and I personally don't need it or want it. It seems that the ownership group has changed and the dirty fingernail faction are extinct and they grew up with the cars with a lot less disposable income.

It has never been more easy to own and run a TR with the spare parts available provided you have a flexible friend and a new cheque book. and a are prepared to accept poor quality, made to a price and short life expectancy.

Rod

Well I see we are off again!

Rod. you and I have had many a conversation in the garage about stuff, much of which we agree, not your post though.

The club and the classic car movement is changing, and there is a debate to be had about that, but its wrong in my veiw to blame the TR register for this.

As regards the forum, are you not part of the problem? Their are fewer old boys posting now? that include you Rod?

Almost everyone who posts here helps others, our forum will be the lessor for anyone who no longer posts, but many of those individuals will also get less out of their TR'ing,

just my veiw.

John.

19 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Regards ~

Tom.

Hi Tom, and HNY.

now Moderator Tom has tried to explain where we are on banning posts etc, and you seem unwilling to see this point of view.

Can I just say, nothing has been banned, removed or censored from anything you posted.

You chose to take a technical thread on MPG, and turn it into, lets say adverse comments on previous politicians, and you wrote about them in less than glowing terms.

OK, a fellow forumite chose to dislike your comments - end of, he surely has as much right to dislike what you write, as you have to post your thoughts, personally I'm neutral on both views, BUT Tom, and please take this on board, your attempts to 'Blame' our forum for (a) Your writings, and (b) someones dislike of them, cannot be fairly laid at the foot of our forum, or The TR Register.

As Mod Tom writes, keep posting, keep offering raesonable opinion, but please be prepared to accept that folk will disagree from time to time, simply that, nothing more.

All the Best.

John.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, John Morrison said:

Hi Tom, and HNY.

now Moderator Tom has tried to explain where we are on banning posts etc, and you seem unwilling to see this point of view.

Can I just say, nothing has been banned, removed or censored from anything you posted.

You chose to take a technical thread on MPG, and turn it into, lets say adverse comments on previous politicians, and you wrote about them in less than glowing terms.

OK, a fellow forumite chose to dislike your comments - end of, he surely has as much right to dislike what you write, as you have to post your thoughts, personally I'm neutral on both views, BUT Tom, and please take this on board, your attempts to 'Blame' our forum for (a) Your writings, and (b) someones dislike of them, cannot be fairly laid at the foot of our forum, or The TR Register.

As Mod Tom writes, keep posting, keep offering raesonable opinion, but please be prepared to accept that folk will disagree from time to time, simply that, nothing more.

All the Best.

John.

+1

Also, as a paid up TRR member I am delighted to fund a vehicle for people's views on all sorts of aspects of classic cars. I am prepared to go along with other paid up members' wishes to express views on politicians in this forum, although such views are of no interest to me personally. However I have no time for those who see this forum as a freebie in which they are entitled to air views that have nothing to do with the aims and objectives of the register.

Al