Hi guys, 

still re-building my TR3a, and spent the Christmas hols in the garage getting the chassis up to the "rolling" stage. Car has a steering rack conversion using a modified TR7 rack (shortened track rods). I want to fit new rod ends but not sure what were used on these conversions. I know they are not TR7 (anyone want a pair, brand new!!!). Mini ones fit the rods but the taper doesn`t seem quite right. I am wondering if Herald might fit. Any one any ideas?.

No, Triumph Herald are Unified threads so will be like the Mini ones and not fit to the rack tie rods.

You are seeking something with an internal Metric (M14?) thread for the rack tie rod and the small taper of the Classic Mini.

Do you know who did the rack modification for a TR3, can they advise?   How is the rack mounted and is it at the correct height to reduce/null bump steer.

Cheers

Peter W

Is your rack conversion a Revington one with welded on brackets?

If so you’ll need Spitfire track rod ends with 1/2” unf thread. 
The TR7 inner track rod has an M14 thread  rolled onto a 1/2” rod. The rolling process grows the diameter out to the required 14mm. When the rods are shortened they aren’t big enough to accept the M14 thread so they are machined you the smaller 1/2” unf size. 
Part No GSJ158

Edited by Drewmotty
On 1/3/2020 at 9:02 PM, Drewmotty said:

Is your rack conversion a Revington one with welded on brackets?

If so you’ll need Spitfire track rod ends with 1/2” unf thread. 
The TR7 inner track rod has an M14 thread  rolled onto a 1/2” rod. The rolling process grows the diameter out to the required 14mm. When the rods are shortened they aren’t big enough to accept the M14 thread so they are machined you the smaller 1/2” unf size. 
Part No GSJ158

The bracket is a cast ally one, Carl at TR Trader sells them, and the rack is modded TR7 with 1/2 inch UNF threads. I bought Classic Mini track rod ends which fit the rack, but I wasn`t happy that they fitted the taper in the steering arms correctly, however Mike says they do, so I will have another look at them. I was thinking that Spitfire (or Herald/Vitesse) might be more likely to have the same taper as the TR3. I do have a Vitesse so might nick a rod end of it to try.