15 hours ago, Z320 said:

Do waterpump and gererator run free?

Why do I ask this again (despite you did not answer this question)?

A friend of mine had a similar problem, I asked hin this several times, 

and when I finally went to him to help him - I found the alternator blocked....

The motor was badly to start and when it run it pulled the belt through the blocked alternator pulley with a very loud noice...

Hi Marco, and others, not yet had a chance to strip the car down so cannot answer yet,

I'm grateful for all your input, and I'll keep you informed of the outcome.

John.

If alignment is the ultimate goal & the water pump pulley needs bringing forward by such a small amount how about making a thicker gasket for behing the waterpump housing

Here is a 0.060" (1.5mm) shim going in the base of a pump housing to close up the excessive clearance of the impellor tips to pump face of a Lucas brand '6 Vane Hi capacity uprated' water pump.  I grissled to the supplier and they refunded me and told me not to return the pump.

The aluminium spacer is glued and M3 screwed into the housing.

The pump, if fitted without gasket now has the vane clearance of 0.010".

So here it is being done.

Cheers

Peter W

Pump hsg.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

that would solve one problem but then make the impellor less effective.

Wouldn't have any impact on the impellor at all Roger - the gasket behind the waterpump housing....not the pump itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Marco,

plan is to buy a new 'Wide' belt at The Stonleigh spares day and hope that 'Cures' the excess noise, if not then I think we will look at te dynamo pulley,

being the simpler way to a cure.

John.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Thanks Marco,

plan is to buy a new 'Wide' belt at The Stonleigh spares day and hope that 'Cures' the excess noise, if not then I think we will look at te dynamo pulley,

being the simpler way to a cure.

John.

Got a new one you can have John, I'll bring it along to Stoneleigh..

12 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi John,

by accident I found this photo at my attachments

22.JPG.fac4b173f4c8664fecafc4293fd2f97a.JPG

You can see the shoulder where the pulley sits on.

Ciao, Marco

Marco,

What I believe you are demonstrating is that the spindle that passes through the bearing is 16mm.  This is because the most common available size of bearings is metric not imperial dimensions. The 15.9mm diameter area of the shaft is where an original sized water pump pulley must fit. (5/8" or 0.625" as the original bearing bore would have been to fit imperial bearings with a parallel shaft).   This step down diameter is done to enable the use of original sized pulleys with 5/8" bores.

Assembly - The pulley should butt up against the bearing inner race that sits on the 16mm shaft NOT on that shoulder. The circlip on the shaft behind the rearmost bearing is there to stop the pulley attaching nut from pulling the shaft through the bearing pack.   If the spindle was assembled in your pump so the pulley sat on the shoulder then for my money the pump shaft was machined or assembled incorrectly.  

We had all this when we first remade the TR2-4A water-pump in the 1990's and initially had to have the a pump and pulley supplied as an assembly with a 16mm bore pulley.  This meant original pulleys were not interchangeable with the newly remade pumps.  Unipart got round this metrication lark, that made the original 5/8" bore keyed pulley unusable by sourcing pump assemblies with the interference fit non removable pulley. So if it failed you threw it all away.  The item was GWP202 and you needed a stud TE506241 to fit it in place of the single bolt that could not be used, due to the fixed pulley.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I still have a small box of water pumps from the days when I did a rebuild service. The issue that stopped me from continuing the service was the imperial bearing and spindle availability.

indeed you could be right and Iwill be wrong, thank you for that advice

I realized the circlip but not its function and will have a closer look on the pumps and pulleys in my workshop.

Edited by Z320