Hi all, fellow group member with a TR4A, has misalignment on his wide fan belt between the

water pump pulley and the dynamo and crank pulleys which are in line.

Just wondering if its practical to remove the pulley with the pump in situ, and shim out the necessary amount?

John.

Hi,

you realised the pulley of the pump must come out?

First I would look on the gap between the impeller and the pump body, is it due to the manual about 2 mm?

If it is more you can press the shaft out until the gap is 2 mm.

If you have to get ist more out with shims (several layers of paper seals) mind this:

With more paper seals between the pump and the pump housing you increase the gap between the impeller and the housing - and reduce the pumps efficiency.

This is why I would shim the pump housing to the engine with more seals.

Have mich success, Marco

Thanks Marco,

Hope that we can leave the pump on the car unmoved, so as not to alter the impeller to block gap, just as you say.

Thinking it might be possible to just move the pulley along the shaft say 0.5mm with a shim or thin washer then replace the pulley.

even if it took a couple of attempts it might still be easier than trying to do anything else.

John.

Hi John,

if its a original old pump this does not work!

The pulley sits not on the inner bush of the bearings but on a tiny 0.5 mm shoulder on the 16 mm shaft.

With a washer between pulley and inner bush of the bearing you will pull the shaft and the impeller out! Please don't do this!

With a new pump this could work, the construction is silghtly different.

But I never put a new pump one in pieces, others may know.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

John

Is the car running a solid wide belt or a toothed type belt? The toothed type may be more forgiving of a slight misalignement, or at least that is my experience on my car

cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi John,

I have more than 1 mm on my (narrow belt) TR6, and no noise.

I doubt that the small misalignment would be the cause of the noise.

Waldi

Thanks Guys,

Its running a wide toothed belt.

Noise is really quite loud, but disappeared with a single squirt of WD 40, and on looking closley the belt is contacting the pulley on one side as it enters the groove.

No detectable play in the water pump, that was my first thought, bearing noise!

Still think, if its possible, the cure is to move the puilley forward on the shaft, be easier if it can be done in situ.

John.

Hi John,

Many, many years ago I ran mine out of alignment, everything was ‘fine’ for ages, the tipping point finally came when the overdrive dropped out and I carried on at ridiculously high revs leading to the woodruff key shearing (Cat Tunnadine towed me miles home - he was a good guy 40 years ago!)....

In hindsight, tell your pal, it would have been prudent for me to shim / sort the dynamo alignment (in my case)

Edited by Tony_C
Typo
On 1/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, RogerH said:

Hi John,

replace the belt with a new one. It has gone hard.

Roger

That would be my first thing I would do.

Waldi

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Thanks everyone.

Still wondering if the pulley can be removed in situ though?

John.

Does the pulley have a  hexagon nut holding it onto the pump shaft? 

If not , it is probably a genuine GWP202 with pressed on pre-fitted pulley.  Have fun moving that long the shaft, even with it on the bench and a large club hammer. 

Cheers

Peter W

7 hours ago, Z320 said:

John, you don't like the answers you get?

No not at all Marco, but the issue is, I can change the belt no problem

but the pulleys will still be out of alignment,

From the answers her I will probobly re-work the dynamo rearwards, change the belt and see where we are.

Thanks all.

John.

Do waterpump and gererator run free?

Why do I ask this again (despite you did not answer this question)?

A friend of mine had a similar problem, I asked hin this several times, 

and when I finally went to him to help him - I found the alternator blocked....

The motor was badly to start and when it run it pulled the belt through the blocked alternator pulley with a very loud noice...

Edited by Z320

Exact alignment of all pulleys is critical for those of us that race the 6 cyl engine. Not to difficult but time consuming playing with shims on the alternator and bracket.

Critical for us as when revs go above 7000 the belt flips off if not spot on. So i think that this should solve your problem.

ROY