Hi Folks,

two years ago I bought a number of UJ's from these people  https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/search-results?q=tvc100010gx2

I fitted 4 with no problems.  I noticed during assembly that inside the cups there was a plastic disc with a nipple on it .   I've noticed this in other UJ's

A short while ago I gave a couple of these to a friend. He is now trying to fit these and has questioned the plastic disc as it is stopping him fitting the circlip.

Has anybody noticed this plastic disc with the nipple.??

I think it is there to stop the grease being forced back into the yoke due to heat/expansion. 

Roger

I might remember the plastic disc and have  got a pair of them in my workshop, can look later or tomorrow.

I realized the plastic disc to make shure 4 identical gaps at the end of the needle bearing to get the grease in all 4 direction.

This might be wrong

I reckon "Zoonie the Lazoon" Rogers alter ego intruded into his typing, and those "blister" like blobs on the end of his fingers must be a bugger to type with ! LOl :lol:

Mick Richards

PS: Just found a clip 

Sorry for the thread drift, couldn't resist.

Mick.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Yeah, it is there,

looks like a little blue hat of a witch.

Shure this plastic hat is part of the construction. The dimension of the UJ is 76 mm x d 27 mm, I measure about 75.4 - 75.55 mm (depending on the grease) x d 26.96 mm.

Your friend could measure his UJs.

Ciao, Marco

On other UJ I remember "the hat" as "a table" grineded in the cups.

Edited by Z320

Let me guess:

he works not with a hydraulik or lever press - but with a hammer?

With the hits one or more needles felt out of the row and lay now cross in  one or more caps of the UJ

I've seen these plastic disks, my concern was how the grease could come through with them in place. 

I can confirm the chap concerned did use a hammer/vice, but was able to remove and refit and no needle roller has fallen in, without the disks it fitted fine. 

Gareth

1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I've seen these plastic disks, my concern was how the grease could come through with them in place. 

I can confirm the chap concerned did use a hammer/vice, but was able to remove and refit and no needle roller has fallen in, without the disks it fitted fine. 

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

it is odd that mine fitted with no issues and that GKN have gone to the TRouble to design and fit the witches hats.  

I have seen these over the years but usually in black.

I share your concern about what they are there for and how does the grease get to where it is intended.

Another oddity is that there is a little half round piece cut out of the edge of the brim - Why???

I can't imagine 0.025" (thickness of two brims) being a game changer.

The dimension across the two cups (diameter of the yoke) is 75mm.

Roger

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Did you measure the lenght of the UJ with the discs in?

I don't believe he did, but had the same issue the last time he fitted a set with these 'witches hats'.

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Gareth,

it is odd that mine fitted with no issues and that GKN have gone to the TRouble to design and fit the witches hats.  

I have seen these over the years but usually in black.

I share your concern about what they are there for and how does the grease get to where it is intended.

Another oddity is that there is a little half round piece cut out of the edge of the brim - Why???

I can't imagine 0.025" (thickness of two brims) being a game changer.

The dimension across the two cups (diameter of the yoke) is 75mm.

Roger

It's all a puzzle for sure Roger, I just felt if the clearance was that tight, there was no way grease could get anywhere even if they fitted.

I take it its unique to this manufacturer and usually there isn't a 'wh' fitted? 

Gareth

Here is a diagram showing a similar item which is called a thrust washer, so it looks like they should remain in place, although the one shown has a hole in it. 

Gareth

HTB1RxANIFXXXXaEXpXXq6xXFXXXR.jpg.9b30200e879bee55a4383e91ff8d786a.jpg

Hi Pete,

the 1st pic shows a typical UJ   cost apprx £10.  No plastic spacer.witches hat.  Small depression in bottom of the cup and a cross cut across the yoke spigot.

The 2nd pic shows the same depression in the cup, No cross cut on the spigot and the witches hat with the little half round cut out. Cost apprx £20

Notice also that the seal on the first one is exposed. The second dearer UJ has the rubber seal covered in a metal cup.

Roger

sorry about the dodgy focus.

DSC_4562a.jpg

DSC_4563a.jpg

Edited by RogerH
1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I don't believe he did, but had the same issue the last time he fitted a set with these 'witches hats'.

It's all a puzzle for sure Roger, I just felt if the clearance was that tight, there was no way grease could get anywhere even if they fitted.

I take it its unique to this manufacturer and usually there isn't a 'wh' fitted? 

Gareth

Gareth,

they are made by the producer ready to fit.

If they don't fit, and this has been also the issue before, probably the forks where the UJs fit in are bended.

On Rogers first photo there is a standard UJ to see, you realize this by the well visible black rubber seal.

On the second photo you see an upraded UJ with more massiv spigot and longer needles (more surface).

The seal is smaller and inside a stainless steel cap.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

The plastic “thrust washers” are to avoid metal to metal contact between cup and cross, looks like a good design feature to me. 

The little cut is to allow grease to better get around it, I think.

If you leave them out, you end up with lateral play and resultant im-balance.

Waldi

This probably explains why his previous UJ had play in it, he's not going to like it but they really need to come back out to figure out why they don't fit with the thrust washer (witches hat).

As you suggested Marco, it could be his coupling is ever so slightly bent. 

Gareth