It would appear that this is one of the best paints, as well as Bonda Rust.

Is it possible to use part of a 1/2 pint pot of POR put the lid back on and later perhaps a few days reopen, will it still be usable?  I understand its like a 2 pack paint, and very durable but have never used it, is the Bonda Rust product the same, and can this be had in black or is it always red oxide colour?

Are there some recommended suppliers of both items, it seems like Frost or Holden for the POR, but not sure about Bonda Rust.

John

Never used Bondarust, but I have used POR15 quite a bit, though I'd rather use a good 2 part epoxy if I can.

POR is moisture cured, so once the paint is exposed to the air, it starts to cure.  A drop of water (like sweat) in the tin can ruin it.  Re-opening the tin can be a problem since the paint is also an excellent adhesive.  Using some plastic wrap under the lid can help.  I have stored half-cans for a few weeks successfully, but it's a bit of a cr*p-shoot.

Ed

Edited by ed_h

The pot-life of opened POR15 is quite long, like months.

But you have to ensure that there is none around the joint of the can and lid.  Otherwise you just won't get it off.

I kept mine in a screw-top jar and just loaded the brush by dipping in the middle.  No wiping the brush on the edge!

46 minutes ago, John L said:

It would appear that this is one of the best paints, as well as Bonda Rust.

Is it possible to use part of a 1/2 pint pot of POR put the lid back on and later perhaps a few days reopen, will it still be usable?  I understand its like a 2 pack paint, and very durable but have never used it, is the Bonda Rust product the same, and can this be had in black or is it always red oxide colour?

Are there some recommended suppliers of both items, it seems like Frost or Holden for the POR, but not sure about Bonda Rust.

John

Bondarust is supplied by Bondaglass Voss Ltd, 156 Ravenscroft Road, Beckenham, Kent.  You can find their contact details via Google.  It is a resin based paint and I think it is water activated but it doesn't come from the same manufacturer as POR15.  To the best of my knowledge it is only available in orange.  It also contains zinc which means it is still effective when the paint film is broken.

Rgds Ian

Bondarust as Ian says is not like . POR15. 
Bondarust It is an extremely good paint, Cellulose thinners are used to clean or thin to a max of 10%. It has been my bare metal paint of choice for 40 years.
Stuart on here is also a fan. Bondarust has an 18 month shelf life according to the label, but in practice, lasts very well if in a properly sealed tin.

Iain

Edited by iain

Used POR after 18 months of being opened as said above don't get any paint between the lid/tin and as an extra precaution use some polythene. Use cheapish brushes and bin after use as the cost of the thinners is extortionate and use POR metal prep first.

Bonda Rust I've used from the can with a brush and spread it well but can leave some shallow spots requiring a second application after allowing it to cure for about a week. Think on reflection its better thinned with cellulose and sprayed on in a couple of applications.

Andy