Modern Battery Chargers are Rubbish

In order to get some power to test things like wiper motors etc in my workshop, and bearing mind I now have two totally knackered power packs because of lack of use, and don't really want to get another one for that reason, I used to use a good old fashioned Selmar Battery Charger which I must have had for over 40 years - it would power up all sorts of  kit without fail, charge completely flat batteries etc, until it suddenly stopped working a few years back. Modern chargers seem incapable of any of this.

Anyway I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, and reading about the antics of various electricery fiends on here, it suddenly occurred to me someone probably has the skills  to repair it- anyone like to volunteer ? I'm sure there would be a few beers in it?!!

Cheers Rich

Yes the modern conditioner units are much too clever to be used in that way Rich. The really old type were nothing more than a big transformer and a rectifier, so could take some abuse.  Replacing the rectifier or ancillary things like switches is easy and cheap but if the transformer itself has quit the unit will be beyond hope of repair -  at least economically.  If I was closer to Colchester I would volunteer to take a look..........

Is it a Selmar Star like this? if so it may have an internal fuse or thermal cut-out which has failed so it might be as easy as replacing that. 

86523837.jpg.2db0c102281bb44b8b3f03bed18ef581.jpg

3 hours ago, RobH said:

Yes the modern conditioner units are much too clever to be used in that way Rich. The really old type were nothing more than a big transformer and a rectifier, so could take some abuse.  Replacing the rectifier or ancillary things like switches is easy and cheap but if the transformer itself has quit the unit will be beyond hope of repair -  at least economically.  If I was closer to Colchester I would volunteer to take a look..........

Is it a Selmar Star like this? if so it may have an internal fuse or thermal cut-out which has failed so it might be as easy as replacing that. 

86523837.jpg.2db0c102281bb44b8b3f03bed18ef581.jpg

Bob - thats it exactly - I've looked for internal fuses/cut outs , but I don't really know what I'm looking for, and hence I'm likely to do more damage than good!

Are any of you guys going to Stoneleigh, as I could take it there and would be happy to pay for postage back?

Cheers Rich